Terms of Reference
Make Music Matter is seeking an experienced Fundraiser who is motivated by working within a dynamic, global team to help make change through music. In this position, you will be working closely with the Director of Operations, the Media and Communications Officer, the Volunteer & Publishing Manager, and the Program & Accounting Officer.
Make Music Matter is a quickly growing NGO – with current funding from Global Affairs Canada and World Vision Canada, to name a few – and has in the past year significantly expanded their portfolio of projects as well as their staff and volunteer teams. To accommodate this growth and the projected expansion over the next few years, we are constantly looking for grants and fundraising opportunities. The expertise of a Volunteer Fundraiser is now required to help us grow even more.
You will assist in various fundraising efforts for the organization, including those aimed at grant-making organizations, private donors, corporate sponsors, and other potential partners.
Specifically, the posting will entail the following:
· Research grant opportunities and assess their potential fit for the various MMM programs to ensure a continual pipeline of prospects
· Identify key contacts in grant making organizations to facilitate initial discussions
· Determine proposal strategy by assessing, identifying and clarifying opportunities and prospect
· Assist with the preparation of concept notes and grant proposals, including researching the donor and subject matter, preparing drafts, and tracking progress
· Identify other potential key influencers to contact to support MMM’s work
· Update the CRM database with key contacts, grant/opportunity research, tasks, deadlines, and contact notes
· Assist with the development of a database of generic materials to be used in grant preparation
· Work with the MMM team to develop and implement fundraising campaign and event opportunities by researching innovative best practices in the field
· Perform other fundraising-related tasks as required
The ideal candidate will:
· Hold, or be working towards, a degree in Fundraising
· Have a strong track record of Fundraising and Grant writing
· Experience in researching and writing grant and funding proposals
· Familiarity with using HubSpot or a similar CRM
· Experience working in the NGO sector.
· Bilingual English and French
· Furthermore, they will be committed to the spirit of volunteerism and social responsibility.
About Make Music Matter
Make Music Matter started with a song to sensitize youth in Rwanda about HIV/AIDS; and it became so much more. Through a partnership with the Panzi Hospital & Foundation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, founded by Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Dr. Denis Mukwege, the Healing in Harmony program was formed. The program uses local and culturally appropriate psychosocial models to address the anxiety, depression, and PTSD that result from experiencing trauma.
Working in tandem with a trained therapist and music producer, participants begin the healing process by writing, recording, and professionally producing songs about their emotions and experiences; simultaneously engaging in therapy and developing their own musical artistry. The result is that participants emerge as confident artists and advocates who are empowered to publicly disseminate their music through local radio, television broadcasts, online streaming, social media, community concerts, and CD distribution - thus reducing stigma about sexual violence, HIV/AIDS, addictions, poverty, mental illness, displacement and more. To see more - https://vimeo.com/320773302
We work in eight countries in Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Canada. Our target groups include survivors of sexual violence, people living in poverty and conflict, youth at risk, refugee children with disabilities, and generally any vulnerable people who are dealing with the effects of traumatic experiences.
Terms of Work
Involvement: on ad hoc basis (estimated 2-3 hours per week) starting February 2020 (flexible)
Compensation: Volunteer, with approved administration expenses covered
PLEASE NOTE: Interviews will be on an ongoing basis.
If you are interested, please send your application via Indeed or directly to Heine Nielsen at heine (at) makemusicmatter (dot) org
Job Types: Part-time, Volunteer
- NGO: 1 year (Preferred)
- Fundraising: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- French (Preferred)