Please email your current resume with cover letter. Documents must be attached in PDF format. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Vancouver Aboriginal Health Society (VAHS) is a non-profit organization established in 1991 to improve and promote the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health of individuals, focusing on the Indigenous community in the Greater Vancouver area. We aim to serve our community with programs and services informed by Indigenous knowledge and methods.
The Vancouver Aboriginal Health Medical Clinic offers a broad range of supportive programs and services, including integrated medical, counselling and Elder cultural support. The Healthcare Social Worker position will work collaboratively as part of the medical clinic team to supplement current programs and services.
The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive knowledge of Indigenous culture and traditions. This knowledge will be complemented by experience working with a marginalized population that deals with compounded social challenges, including mental health, complex trauma, substance use and misuse, chronic diseases, oppression, homelessness and poverty.
PROVIDE DIRECT SERVICES, INCLUDING
Client intakes, psycho-social assessments; client-centred care plans development and implementation; evaluation and documentation of case management.
Facilitate support group program delivery and provide outreach services as required.
Support continuity of care by liaising with a multidisciplinary team, coordinating integrated client care, client advocacy by support with transitions and navigating services.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
· Comprehensive knowledge of health care disciplines and their role in client care.
· Demonstrated ability in dealing with a variety of situations and responsibilities requiring initiative, creativity and professional judgment.
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client-centered model in holistic healthcare.
· Knowledge of appropriate Acts; Employment and Assistance Act of BC, Mental Health Act of BC, Adult Guardianship, Public Health Act, Human Rights Act of BC as they relate to the rights of clients.
· Knowledge and experience providing culturally based care including but not exclusive to Indigenous clients.
· Knowledge and experience of crisis intervention and supportive counselling skills.
· Knowledge and experience utilizing Trauma Informed Practice, Harm Reduction approaches in Recovery Oriented Care.
· Knowledge and skills in assessment and interventions pertaining to mental health and substance misuse including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and other appropriate treatment modalities.
· Broad knowledge of local health, social systems and community resources particularly those available in DTES.
· Demonstrated ability to conduct mental status and suicide risk assessments.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients, colleagues, physicians, and other health care professionals.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively manage caseloads.
· Demonstrated ability to document practice in electronic record as per agency policy.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
· Demonstrated ability to provide consultation and leadership.
· Demonstrated ability to adhere to professional standards of practice.
· Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, Internet and email software.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Current and full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
· Master of Social Work with 2 years related experience preferred, or Bachelor of Social Work with 5 years related experience.
· Combination of education and work experience will be considered.
Job Title: Healthcare Social Worker
Wages: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Location: 449 East Hastings St., Vancouver, BC
Status: Full Time
Start Date: Immediately
Hours: 0830-1630. Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays
Closing Date: Open until filled
The hours of work, including days off and work area, may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place