Position: Multicultural Liaison Officer (MLO)
Terms: Full Time (35 Hours per week) – September to December’2022
Reports to: Manager of the Multicultural Liaison Officer Program
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
The Multicultural Liaison Officer (MLO) provides settlement service, needs assessment, information and orientation session and service referrals for immigrant and refugee children and youth and their families within Ottawa schools. The MLO collaborates with school administration and teachers to facilitate cross-cultural communication and ensure student integration and academic success.
· Provide settlement services, needs assessments, information and orientation sessions and service referrals to immigrant and refugee children and youth and their families
· Encourage and support parental engagement in their children's education through workshops and information sessions
· Provide cultural interpretation and facilitate communication between school employees and newcomer families
· Connect newcomer students to school and community resources
· Provide cross-cultural information and education to teachers and administration within the schools and to service providers in the community to facilitate service access and support relationship building.
· Post-secondary education in social sciences, education, or a related field.
· Knowledge and experience in community outreach and service delivery within the social service sector.
· Experience in working with newcomer communities
· Proven ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
· Knowledgeable of the Ontario Education System and, ideally, the Ottawa Carleton District School Board and Ottawa Catholic School Board policies and practices.
· Proven skills in workshop development and facilitation
· Extensive knowledge of community resources
· Proficiency with current computer applications, including the MS Office Suite, internet-based productivity tools and databases
· Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision
· Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English
· The candidates must speak in addition to English one of the following languages or a combination of languages:
Salary & Benefits: Ranging between $48,120.8 - $49,049 annually as per school year
Application Deadline: Wednesday, August 24, 2022, until 5 PM (EDT)
Application Process: Please rename your cover letter and resume with your "First name\_position title" (e.g., Chandan\_HR Administrator) before applying and send it to Chandan Rathaur, Human Resources Administrator.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavour to provide accommodation to people with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Please note that after the hiring process is complete. Before joining, OCISO requires successful candidates to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination document as a condition of employment, subject to an Ontario Human Rights Code exemption. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada for their employment.
Thank you for your interest in joining OCISO. We appreciate all applications. Due to the volume of applicants, we can only contact those selected for further consideration.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 4 months
Salary: $48,120.00-$49,049.00 per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
Application deadline: 2022-08-24