Choices for Youth is a dynamic, progressive organization that empowers homeless and at-risk youth with innovative options and tools to move from street-life to more stable, healthy living situations. Currently, The Shelter for Young Men and the Lilly are looking for Relief Workers. This is a call in, as needed, position. Relief workers will be trained to work at both programs and will require shift work including weekends, overnights, evenings, and holidays.
The Lilly is a non-traditional safe and affordable housing program with in-house supports for homeless and at risk youth. Youth who live at the Lilly develop and engage in an individual support plan to identify employment and/or educational goals and actively engage in programming. As a relief worker at the Lilly, you will work as part of a team to ensure these goals are being met.
Choices for Youth Young Men’s Shelter provides emergency, short-term housing for young men between 16 and 29 years of age. As a relief counselor you will work as part of a staff team to ensure quality service to the young men that use the shelter services. This will include intake/assessments, providing supportive and crisis counseling, community liaising, advocacy and referrals to programs and services as required.
Relief workers are also responsible for daily shelter operations including cleaning, meal preparation and other general duties.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-Secondary education in social sciences or related accredited program
- Experience working with homeless and at-risk youth
- A sound knowledge of the issues facing homeless and marginalized youth
- Experience in supportive counselling
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Strong documentation and administrative skills
- Demonstrated conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR, ASIST, and a clear Certificate of Conduct
The following skills are considered an asset:
- Knowledge or experience with substance misuse and mental health
- Life skills and employment counselling
- Knowledge of community services and programs
- Knowledge in DBT
Rate of pay: $20.49 per hour + 4% vacation pay
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $21.49 to $23.51 /hour