Putting people first, every day
BDO is a firm built on a foundation of positive relationships with our people and our clients. Each day, our professionals provide exceptional service, helping clients with advice and insight they can trust. In turn, we offer an award-winning environment that fosters a people-first culture with a high priority on your personal and professional growth.
BDO Law's Immigration Practice is looking for a US/Canadian Immigration Lawyer to provide immigration legal advice and representation in a high-volume and dynamic immigration legal practice. While working on a variety of US and Canadian immigration, visa and citizenship applications, with a focus on economic/business class applications, you will also own the following responsibilities:
- Represent clients in a wide range of US and Canadian visa, immigration, and citizenship application
Review and implement strategies to manage client
- 's business needs and mitigate risks
- Advise clients and employees on changes in immigration laws, regulations, and impacts
- Analyze legal issues to develop and implement legal and application strategy
- Research statutes and case law
- Prepare clients for immigration interviews and/or port of entry application
- Prepare, supervise, and monitor progress of immigration, visa, and citizenship applications as well as drafting key documents
- Assist clients in preparing and obtaining documentation or information required for applications
- Co-ordinate matters between US, Canadian and Provincial officials, third parties, applicants, and employers
- Supervise, train, and mentor paralegals and caseworkers
How do we define success for your role?
- You demonstrate BDO's core values through all aspects of your work: Integrity, Respect, and Collaboration
- You understand your clients' industry, challenges, and opportunities; clients describe you as positive, professional, and delivering high quality work
- You identify, recommend, and are focused on effective service delivery to your clients
- You share in an inclusive and engaging work environment that develops, retains, and attracts talent
- You actively participate in the adoption of digital tools and strategies to drive an innovative workplace
- You grow your expertise through learning and professional development
Your experience and education
- You have 3+ years of relevant immigration practice experience
- You are a member in good standing of a US and or Canadian Bar
- You have strong research and writing skills and are adept at preparing written correspondence
- You are able to work independently and are passionate about client service
- You are detail oriented and well organized
- You have a strong work ethic fueled by a desire to excel and achieve
- You are able to multitask and effectively handle competing priorities
- You are able to excel in a fast-paced environment
- You have excellent motivation to embrace technology trends and IT solutions designed to enhance the client experience
You have an enthusiasm to manage workflow and processes
Our people-first approach to talent has earned us a spot among Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2023 . This recognition is a milestone we're thrilled to add to our collection of awards for both experienced and student talent experiences.
Our firm is committed to providing an environment where you can be successful in the following ways:
We enable you to engage with how we change and evolve, being a key contributor to the success and growth of BDO in Canada.
We help you become a better professional within our services, industries, and markets with extensive opportunities for learning and development.
We support your achievement of personal goals outside of the office and making an impact on your community.
Giving back adds up: Where company meets community. BDO is actively involved in our communities by supporting local charity initiatives. We support staff with local and national events where you will be given the opportunity to contribute to your community.
Total rewards that matter: We pay for performance with competitive total cash compensation that recognizes and rewards your contribution. We provide flexible benefits from day one, and a market leading personal time off policy. We are committed to supporting your overall wellness beyond working hours and provide reimbursement for wellness initiatives that fit your lifestyle.
Everyone counts: We believe every employee should have the opportunity to participate and succeed. Through leadership by our Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer, we are committed to a workplace culture of respect, inclusion, and diversity. We recognize and celebrate the valuable differences among each of us, including race, religious beliefs, physical or mental disabilities, age, place of origin, marital status, family status, gender or gender identity and sexual orientation. If you require accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us .
Flexibility: All BDO personnel are expected to spend some of their time working in the office, at the client site, and virtually unless accommodations or alternative work arrangements are in place.
Our model is a blended approach designed to support the flexible needs of our people, the firm and our clients. It's about creating work experiences that meet everyone's needs and providing flexibility to adjust when, where and how we work to meet the expectations of our role.
Ready to make your mark at BDO? Click "Apply now" to send your up-to-date resume to one of our Talent Acquisition Specialists.
To explore other opportunities at BDO, check out our careers page .