Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY:
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Workplace Health and Safety department.
Reporting to the Manager you will be responsible for performing basic patient care functions, personal patient care, and assisting with patient transfers, positioning, and general range of motion as directed by the nursing team. You will be responsible for documenting on unit specific documentation forms, observing and reporting changes in patient conditions to appropriate team members, and practicing infection control and safety measures in accordance with hospital policies. The successful candidate will assist patient with activities of daily living (ie. patient meal set up, feeding, collecting and replacing soiled linen, removing and emptying bedpans/urinals, maintaining patient supplies, maintaining a safe and clean environment for patients) and other duties as assigned. You may be scheduled at the General or Birchmount hospital based on departmental needs.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- High School Diploma
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) Certificate from an educational facility approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities or the National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) and recognized by Scarborough Health Network
- Proof of 600 hour program which includes clinical and practicum
- Current BCLS
- Demonstrated excellent English reading, writing, speaking, comprehension and clinical skills (test will be administered)
- Demonstrated excellent customer service, organizational and problem solving skills (test will be administered)
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to function both independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team member in a fast paced demanding environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to foster caring and trusting relationships with patients and families in an effort to support patient and family centred care
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going learning and professional development
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues and volunteers and other members of the community and public
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area.
- Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
- Basic computer skills and knowledge of Meditech system
- Ability to speak another language
- Recent related experience as a PSW
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following us on Twitter at: SHNCareers