This position coordinates the administration of the UBC Board Secretariat Office in all board governance activities. Ensures the effective operation at Board and Committee meetings, and is responsible for the administrative flow and coordination of submissions and Board reports.
The Governance Coordinator is highly attuned to the strategic priorities of the Board of Governors and its administration.
This position reports to the Governance Officer and liaises with senior administrative staff of the University. Works closely with the Board Secretary.
The Board Secretary reports to the Chair of the Board of Governors, and the University President in a primary information flow and logistical support role. Under the Secretary's leadership, the Board of Governors Secretariat Office is responsible for managing the meeting process for the Board of Governors, and the organization and administration of Board and University governance records, including governance compliance matters.
The Board of Governors is responsible for the management, administration, and control of the property, revenue, business, and affairs of the University (Vancouver and Okanagan campuses), including the appointment of senior administrative positions.
- Serves as liaison and as a governance resource to the campus community and to the executive support to VPs.
- Responsible for the development and coordination of agendas and minutes of BoG meetings and committees. This includes the development of speaking notes to identify the strategic importance of discussion items and the impact to the University.
- Reviews all final submissions to ensure compliance with Board policies, in partnership with the Governance Officer.
- Coordinates and manages the administrative flow of submissions and BoG reports. This includes facilitating the secure submission process.
- Develops, implements, and manages the tracking system for BoG meetings and standing committees' action items to define timelines and follow-ups.
- Participates in strategic planning and development of department policies, procedures, and systems.
- Manages and administers the information management system to ensure Board documents are securely stored, and shared accordingly.
- Supports the Board Secretary and the Governance Officer with the onboarding process of new members to the Board of Governors. Responsible for updating the online Board of Governors Manual.
- Researches background material and analyzes and summarizes data for projects, reports, presentations and correspondence.
- Manages multiple Board of Governors websites and databases; edits content; liaises with internal production and media service providers as needed for special projects.
- Assists with reports for the Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office (CABRO).
- Assists with management of the presidential search process and the presidential reappointment process; as well as the appointment and reappointment of BoG members.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of the University Act, Board and Senate bylaws, and relevant policies, procedures, precedents, and Committee mandates.
Works closely with other members of the Board Secretariat Office. Receives direction from the Governance Officer and Board Secretary.
Responsibilities are impacted by frequently changing conditions and priorities, and require ongoing prioritization.
Work is reviewed in terms of sound management practice and achievement of specific objectives.
Orients/trains incoming Board of Governors Secretariat administrative support staff; may provide direction on as-needed basis
Consequence of Error/Judgement
A high level of independent judgment is required in a complex, confidential governance environment.
The position has access to highly confidential information related to the governance of the University, which requires handling with discretion. Errors could lead to negative impacts on the University's public relations, finances, and credibility.
Tact and sensitivity to both internal and external issues impacting the University is required in all activities. The incumbent is expected to respond well to unexpected circumstances and exercise independent judgment and flexibility. Inappropriate communications of sensitive issues could have a serious impact on operations and have legal implications.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. . Minimum of two years' experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Proven ability to work effectively in a high pressure environment with frequent interruptions, and prioritize multiple competing demands, to meet tight deadlines.
Considerable tact and discretion when interacting with high level internal and external contacts.
Excellent judgement, such as being able to identify contentious and politically sensitive issues, and respond appropriately.
Ability to resolve problems by identifying and interpreting situations, and applying ingenuity to effectively resolve.
Excellent interpersonal skills, including active listening, and probing for information to clarify requests.
Proven track record of taking initiative.
Ability to plan, prioritize, and complete assignments independently.
Ability to effectively provide instruction in areas of expertise.
$61,840.00 (minimum) - $74,238.00 (midpoint) - $89,085.00 (maximum)
Please note that this salary range is currently under review.
Guiding principle: "Midpoint" of the hiring salary range means the individual possesses full job knowledge, qualifications and experience.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Job Type: Full-time