The University Hospital Foundation (UHF) believes in the power of generosity to save and change lives. The Foundation raises funds to ensure patients at the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic have access to the latest advancements in medical technology and innovative patient care. As a result of very generous individuals and community support, we have raised more than $187 million in the last 10 years to support patient care, advanced technology and clinical research.
Reporting to the Director, Philanthropy this generalist position will establish and develop long term philanthropic relationships with prospects, donors and sponsors through focusing on the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of major gift and planned giving prospects with the capacity and interest in providing financial support to the University of Alberta Hospital site. The Officer will have a high-level of comfort and expertise in soliciting individual and corporate donations in face-to-face meetings and by telephone and correspondence. The Philanthropy Officer will coordinate strategic moves to help the University Hospital Foundation reach its overall financial goals. The Officer will be a fundraising generalist who is capable of working with individuals and businesses to secure investments over $10,000 and he/she will work independently and collaboratively with colleagues throughout the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic.
Revenue Generation and Planning
- Develop strategies to solicit and secure future major and planned gifts and sponsorships, including prospect research, customized proposal writing, presentations and direct involvement in solicitations;
- Interpret the interests of potential donors or stakeholders and translate them into attractive opportunities for investment in the UHF;
- Participate in the development of stewardship plans for individual and corporate donors and sponsors;
- Communicate the Foundation’s objectives in a persuasive and stimulating manner with all stakeholders through a strong understanding of the immediate priority funding needs;
- Contribute to the development of the Foundation's annual budget, including establishment of financial targets and development of annual revenue;
- Ensure effective renewal and stewardship strategies are in place for major donors. Ensure personal stewardship plans are created and carried out for major donors as part of relationship management;
- Support the continued execution of the capital campaign while meeting approved revenue goals;
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects with the capacity to make a gift of $10,000 and develop comprehensive cultivation and solicitation plans and track donor activity for prospects;
- Prepare briefing packages, proposals, implement stewardship protocols and coordinate necessary follow-up for solicitation calls.
- Collaborate with senior staff, volunteers and demonstrate ability to work at all levels within a research-intensive hospital environment;
- Demonstrate the ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in representing the Foundation; and
- Display an extraordinary commitment to confidentiality and professionalism;
- Stay abreast of local, provincial and national trends and recent news/announcements that have potential impact on contributed revenue.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrates philanthropic spirit;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build deep, meaningful relationships and work effectively with donors, stakeholders and community partners;
- Exceptional application of Microsoft Office and experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar donor database management system is essential
- A high degree of comfort in identifying, contacting and developing new major gift prospects as well as superior interpersonal skills in stewarding existing donors;
- An outgoing, positive, group win approach with a willingness to learn, teach and share – bringing new skills and developing one’s own skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities to thrive in a fast-paced environment; and
- Assertive, mature, resourceful, self-disciplined individual who is engaged in the Foundations goals.
- Detail oriented and able to work with little supervision and in cooperation with the Philanthropy team and volunteers;
- Exceptional interpersonal and influencing skills, tact, and diplomacy with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and successful working relationships with volunteers, staff and all donors; ability to serve as a team player and leader;
- University degree (or equivalent) in business, communications, community development or non-profit management is preferred. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset;
- Minimum 5 years’ successful experience in fund development including donor management, cultivation, strategy development and personal solicitations;
- Demonstrated track record of major gifts fundraising, including independently securing five figure gifts;
- Knowledge of the University of Alberta Hospital considered an asset;
- Knowledgeable in best practices and performance metrics related to fundraising and prospect research;
- Experience working with volunteers in a fund development setting;
- Track record of effectively identifying, researching and prioritizing new major donor prospects;
- Proven skill in creating and implementing fundraising plans, including strategies for immediate and long-term growth;
- Ability to leverage constructive and effective relationships inside and outside the organization;
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively;
- A working knowledge of Raisers Edge is an asset;
- Strong public speaking skills desired;
- Articulate speaker and writer;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of office computer systems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, electronic mail);
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends;
- Previous experience in healthcare is considered an asset.
- Full time, Temporary
- Competitive pay + bonus
To apply for this posting, please follow the link below to upload your resume and cover letter. You will also be asked to complete a Culture Index Survey, which will help us to get to know you better and assess your fit for this position.
Closing date for this posting is June 14 at 5:00pm.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary