If you're ready for a challenge then consider this opportunity at a maximum security detention centre where your knowledge of office administration and your organizational and prioritizing skills will be appreciated.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role you will:
- produce a variety of letters, memos, reports; take and transcribe meeting minutes, schedule appointments, make travel arrangements, book meeting rooms;
- answer and direct telephone calls as necessary and/or take messages; answer routine inquiries;
- establish and maintain a filing system ensuring the safekeeping of administration files;
- determine workload priorities when performing a variety of different tasks with conflicting deadlines;
- operate office equipment such as a photocopier and facsimile.
How do I qualify?
General Office Administration Skills:
Analytical and Reasoning Skills:
- You understand general office practices and procedures to perform administrative duties.
- You have knowledge of office practices and sections of procedural manuals to provide reception, mail, word processing and clerical support services in the correctional facility.
- You have the ability to provide clerical support services by maintaining and ensuring safekeeping of administrative files, preparing statistical reports, photocopying and sending fax transmittals etc.
- You can operate office equipment such as a photocopier and facsimile.
- You have the knowledge and ability to prepare statistical reports, sort and distribute mail, order supplies, process unit/area forms and schedule meetings.
- You have knowledge of filing systems to establish and maintain files and ensure their safekeeping; knowledge of procedures regarding security of files.
- You have knowledge of principles of confidentiality and corresponding procedures.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- You are able to errors by checking for missing information/documents.
- You can identify conflicts in meeting and appointment schedules.
- You can recognize and correct errors when directing callers.
- You have reasoning skills to determine what matters should be given priority when performing a variety of different task with conflicting deadlines.
Computer Knowledge and Skills:
- You have good oral communication skills to receive calls and take messages.
- You have strong interpersonal skills to deal with the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- You have good written communication skills to receive and relay messages to staff.
- You have strong written communication skills to prepare accurate letters, memos, meeting minutes, reports and other correspondence.
- You have strong typing skills to prepare a variety of written material.
- You have knowledge of operation of word processing equipment and related software features to type and format letters, memos, travel claims and reports.
1 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 655 Martin St, Milton, Central Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Administrative and Support Services
Monday, May 17, 2021
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.