IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At NYGH, our team is making a world of difference. North York General Hospital is part of North York Toronto Health Partners, a collaborative partnership with patients, primary care, and community partners, a first- generation Ontario Health Team, driving the development of a locally integrated health system to serve the community. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At North York General, our team is making a world of difference.
Coordinator, Fire & Life Safety:
Your goal in this position is to work in collaboration with the Manager, Fire Safety, Security and Parking to provide subject matter expertise to NYGH regarding the Fire Prevention and Life Safety program including related plans to ensure compliance. You will provide subject matter expertise in relation to fire code compliance and any other applicable legislation, along with emergency plan maintenance in relation to Code Red and Green. You will ensure the ongoing maintenance of the building and life safety systems are completed, as well as update and implement training for employees as it pertains to fire and life safety. You will also be an internal liaison with Toronto Fire Services and other authorities having jurisdiction and provide internal expertise to the project planning office and contractors. You will support the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers , learners, patients and families.
On a practical level, you will
- Ensure compliance with all areas of Ontario Fire Code (OFC)
- Conduct daily, weekly, monthly or semi-annual inspections as per OFC and/or ensure that they are completed as outlined in delineation of responsibilities and section 2.8 of the Fire Code.
- Ensure NYGH remains compliant with safety inspection guidelines, legislation and codes
- Maintain and update Code Red and Green plans for all NYGH sites as required including drawing update and maintenance
- Identify and/or track deficiencies through to resolution
- Inspect fire separations and doors on monthly basis
- Complete fire drills and training as assigned
- Provide internal subject matter expertise to Project Managers and internal clients
- Develop processes, procedures, policies as required to ensure fire safety compliance and a robust fire safety program
- Be responsible for maintaining, enforcing and developing departmental documentation: standard operating procedures, emergency response plans, drawings and literature
- Develop, maintain and implement educational materials including online training material and in-services based on employee and departmental needs related to fire safety and evacuation
- Provide training to employees on fire systems, fire safety and related processes
- Facilitate knowledge transfer and provide continuous learning/educational opportunities through a variety of concepts i.e. Fire Safety In-Service, Table Top Exercises, Online training
- Completion of Fire Protection Engineering Technology Diploma program or a combination of relevant experience and education
- Strong knowledge of Fire Suppression Systems: Dry, Wet, Pre-action and Deluge Sprinkler Systems
- Familiarity of Fire Pumps and Standpipe Systems
- Working knowledge of Principles of Fire Protection
- Strong knowledge of NFPA Manuals, Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Working knowledge and experience with fire protection techniques and equipment
- Experience in reviewing design drawings and specifications for new facilities and major renovations
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate, develop and monitor Fire Safety Plans
- Excellent problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Strong presentation, interpersonal, oral and written skills
- Experience teaching, mentoring and facilitating employees in current fire safety principles to mitigate risk
- Ability to work with individuals from all levels both internally and externally
- Knowledge of Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) for Fire Protection (Preferred)
- CFAA Certification (preferred)
- Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Regular position, 22.5 hours bi-weekly, with 8 hour shifts, all shifts in the Security Department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.