The General Labourer will be required to perform tasks involving physical labour at construction projects, and could be required to operate equipment such as skidsteer, packer and/or power tools. Responsibilities will include the cleaning and preparation of work-sites, setting braces to support the sides of excavations, erecting scaffolding, cleaning up rubble and debris, shoveling, raking, removal of waste materials and any labour related function necessary for the continuation and completion of the job at hand such as traffic control.
Job Duties include, but not limited to:
- Clean and perform preparation of work-site.
- Operate equipment as required. Receive training on equipment prior to operation.
- Carry out and document daily equipment maintenance duties such as checking levels, safety equipment, greasing, etc.
- Complete circle checks daily, on any new piece of equipment being operated.
- Always ensure a full understanding of safe operation requirements, if there is any doubt, speak to your supervisor.
- Always review the operator’s manual on any piece of equipment prior to operating.
- Ensure locate is valid in equipment if excavation is taking place.
- Operators must be knowledgeable of locate sheets.
- Shovel and rake as required.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
- Clean and maintain any equipment or tools you may use. Operate, read, and maintain air monitoring and other sampling devices when working in confined spaces and/or hazardous environments. Certified training must be completed prior to entrance into any confined space.
- Clean and prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards.
- Control traffic passing near, in, and around work zones when required. Company training is mandatory prior to assisting with traffic control.
- Ensure you have your traffic control training certificate with you when flagging. Always speak to your supervisor if you have any concerns.
- Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, compact and level earth to grade specifications, using appropriate tools when required.
- Erect and disassemble scaffolding, shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, and other temporary structures when required.
- Install sewer, water, and storm drain pipes, using pipe-laying machinery and laser guidance equipment upon training and supervision if and when required.
- Load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools, and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications.
- Provide assistance to co-workers and other job sites when required.
- Perform demolition work and salvage useful materials when required.
- To assist in all areas of construction (Company) when required.
- Attend safety tailgate meetings.
- Experience working in an area of expertise as detailed above.
- Demonstrate organizational skills with strong knowledge in the area of expertise.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work with a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to stand, lift 50 lbs, carry, bend, and reach.
- Punctual and available to work 50 hours per week.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Travel to various sites will be required.
- Indoor and outdoor environments; and various weather conditions.
- Weekend work may be required.
Job Type: Full-time