John Howard Society Pacific (JHS) is a non-profit organization which provides the opportunity to work with purpose, and impact change in your community. We are a dynamic, innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all. We do this through a continuum of programs which provide assistance with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services, with the goal of helping individuals achieve greater independence.
The Assistant Program Manager (APM) will apply leadership and innovation as the life force that sustains and enhances our programs. This position will make a difference by meeting the needs of our clients, funders, and regulators. The APM inspires excellence and purpose into the program by planning, organizing, staffing, and monitoring activities that ensure key targets are achieved.
12 Hour Shift Rotations
4 days on and 4 days off
This position requires the ability to work flexible hours during the daytime, evenings, and weekends based on operational needs and program requirements.
- Supports the implementation of all policies and procedures, including developing appropriate manuals, brochures and handbooks
- Supports the Program Manager in hiring, supervision, evaluation, transferring, and termination of staff and/or contractors as necessary to fulfill the program goal in accord with the Collective Agreement with CUPE Local 1936-11 and the Personnel Policies of JHS Pacific
- Supports a system of staff, contractor, and volunteer orientation, supervision, in service training and evaluation
- Ensures all appropriate daily, monthly, and annual documentation of resource staff and contractor’s files and records are maintained.
- Accepts responsibility for the daily and monthly financial and administrative aspects of the programs
- Assists the Program Manager to prepare the budget and financial statements
- Ensures that effective, inclusive support programs are maintained
- Supports overall program strategic direction
- Liaises with JHS staff, especially regarding potential referrals
- Supports to ensure that funder’s guidelines, based on all agreed goals and including all steps or success measurement and timelines, are completed
- Develops related program opportunities, available to the individuals in the community
- Maintains effective working relationships with related community services, government/stakeholders and agencies
- Is knowledgeable of related agencies for effective client referrals and support, especially those in their respective communities
- Coordinates community case meetings as required
- Ensures that the physical facilities fulfill all fire, health and safety regulations
- Ensures that the residence is maintained as a clean, pleasant and safe environment
- Is available to all resource staff, in case of emergencies; this may include carrying a pager or cell phone 24 hours a day and ensures on call coverage is arranged in their absence
- Coordination and Administration for the residential program
- All Human Resource Functions – recruitment, training, development
- Other duties as required
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven ability to work within a fast-paced, growth-focused environment. The ideal candidate has:
- A bachelor's degree and/or professional designation, with ideally 3 years of applicable or relevant transferable past work experience
- Extensive expertise in the Community Living, Mental Health and Criminal Justice System
- Extensive experience in management of the day-to-day aspects of community-based residential programs, including case planning, behaviour modification techniques, psychosocial rehabilitative techniques
- Extensive knowledge of Community Living and Mental Health programming and the guiding philosophies and influencing policies and politics
- Experience in the housing and outreach programs for hard to house people.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skill in English
- Experience in the areas of group process, individual counseling and crisis management
- Extensive knowledge and experience in hiring, training and supervising staff
- Ability to motivate and organize contractors and/or a staff team
- Administrative experience and strong administrative skills
Preference for candidates with knowledge of non-profit work environments, especially the Criminal Justice System and Developmental Disabilities.
- Ability to successfully complete a Security Clearance and/or Criminal Records Check
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Personal transportation that is in good repair, insured for business up to $1,000,000 for liability, and which can be used to transport clients
Annual Salary will be negotiated based on experience and qualifications. This role will also be eligible for the Society’s comprehensive Management Benefits Package.
WHAT WE OFFER?
- An inclusive and supportive work environment, along with the opportunity to work with purpose for non-profit organization
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Wellness supports, including counselling and other innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
COMMITTED LIVING WAGE EMPLOYER
JHSP recognizes the importance of supporting our communities through the Living Wage for Families Campaign. As a Certified Living Wage Employer, we are committed to providing our employees with fair living wages.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At JHS, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified applicants, including but not limited to members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities. Multilingual skills and multicultural competence are assets.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the subject line “Assistant Program Manager"
Application deadline: 2021-08-06
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- On call
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- working with clients with substance misuse: 1 year (required)