Satcom Direct (SD) provides global connectivity solutions for business and general aviation, military, government, and land mobile services. Since 1997, SD has worked to solve the unsolvable and advance the technology of connectivity through our industry-leading hardware and flight operations software. Our company culture is based on innovation and creativity which allows our team members to thrive in a dynamic atmosphere. We are looking for people who are passionate about customer satisfaction and who excel in a constantly changing environment.
SD Avionics is a division of Satcom Direct located in Kanata, the high-tech hub of Ottawa, Ontario. Our second largest site globally, this location manufactures avionics hardware, cabin routers, and the SD Plane Simple Antenna System.
Satcom Direct offers a highly competitive benefits package, which includes comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. Employees have an on-site gym and robust vacation time to have an excellent work/life balance. Additional benefits include matching retirement plan, pet insurance, and critical-illness insurance.
The Assembly Technician is accountable for manufacturing, repair, customer support or engineering operations including assembly, test, RMA activities, as defined by the Director of Manufacturing.
The Assembly Technician will primarily work within a Manufacturing role within the Workshop, providing routine and surge support to RMA activities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and should demonstrate the following competencies to consistently perform the essential functions of this position. All employees are expected to adhere to and be knowledgeable of Satcom Direct (SD) operations standards, established safety rules and requirements for adherence to company attendance guidelines.The requirements listed below are representative of the fundamental knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the job successfully.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Assembly of electronic and mechanical components in a clean environment.
· Work in a high paced manufacturing environment, with the ability to work in a team setting to achieve company deliverables and objectives
· Identify opportunities for improvement within the manufacturing environment and drive new solutions to closure through continual improvement board.
· Communicate effectively
· Working knowledge of IPC-A-610 and IPC-7711/7721 is an asset.
· Solder electronic components including 0402 passive components and fine pitch active components to IPC-A-610 Class 3
· Ability to rework BGAs, QFPs and QFNs is an asset.
· Modification of printed circuit card assemblies with track cuts and jumper wires.
· Mechanical assembly using basic tools such as torque screw drivers, wrenches, or socket drivers.
· Review and preparation of technical inputs into documents for manufacturability and serviceability
· Ability to operate independently,
· Provide training to others.
· With Training, ability to retrieve relevant product data from SD’s Enterprise Resource Planning and Product Lifecycle Management (Arena) systems.
· Report defective parts to RMA Repair Database
· Ability to read and interpret electronic diagrams, drawings, and assembly guides.
- Electrical and/or electrical technician College diploma or equivalent.
- Experience performing fine pitch soldering and rework to IPC-A-610 class 3 and IPC-7711/7721
- Experience working within a AS9100 quality management systems or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of cloud-based tools including ERP, PLM.
- Demonstrable skills with Microsoft office-style tools.
- Working knowledge of Transport Canada regulatory requirements is a asset.
While performing general office duties for this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and/or walk around (including the use of stairs). Other demands include the ability to openly communicate with others by talking, listening, and reading, able to lift light objects (< 25lbs), and use standard office equipment such as computer, printer, phone and cell phone in addition to various lab tools, both power and manual. In addition, there is an occasional need to bend, twist or stoop in order to open/close cabinets, reach for files or other standard office type objects.
The office environment is generally quiet and, in a temperature, controlled setting with random adjustments in noise or temperature due to others talking or laughing loudly, unscheduled maintenance repairs to the building or its interior offices or unpredictable situations due to weather or other acts beyond company control. The work environment will include working in a lab environment as well which includes wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and following ESD guidelines. An employee must be willing to work their regularly assigned work schedule for their particular duties and/or job responsibilities and in times of need, be able to work an extended schedule depending on company/department needs, project requirements or customer demands. Work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment. The temperature at client locations can vary from controlled to variations off hot/cold when working, standing or walking in or near the flight-line or maintenance repair center.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at +1 (321) 777-3000
SD Avionics is committed to hiring the most qualified candidates for approved company positions, without preference to any individual on the basis of race, color, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Our policy is to engage in recruitment and selection practices that are in compliance with all applicable national or local employment laws. SD Avionics and its various international entities follow talent acquisition practices that identify qualified and diverse candidates, promote opportunities for employee development, and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. SD Avionics promotes equity in employment: As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON K2K 0A1: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Assembly: 1 year (preferred)