Since the legalization of recreational Cannabis in October 2018, HEXO Corp has experienced incredible growth. As one of Canada’s top Cannabis companies, we continue to advance in this exciting new industry along with the incredibly talented people we have working on the team.
HEXO Corp creates globally trusted brands of easy-to-use and easy-to-understand cannabis products. HEXO Corp is a serious, business-oriented and socially responsible organization that is building dynamic teams of professionals that aren't afraid to step outside of their role, try new things and challenge the status quo.
If you are excited to take on a new challenge and are open to getting out of your comfort zone, we’re looking for people like you to join the HEXO Corp family.
Reporting to the Procurement Manager, Raw Materials and Packaging, the Technical Buyer will be the subject matter expert on sourcing and procuring materials to component functionality, design, and will be responsible for commercialising materials to HEXO intended applications. The ideal candidate will bring extensive industry knowledge and will provide input on use and function to R&D, QA and Manufacturing.
- Source vendors to support HEXO commodity requirements. Provide technical perspective and collaborate with internal functions and external resources to deliver highly developed, commercial commodities fit for use to specifications.
- Build relationships within industries to ensure the highest level of compliance at best pricing. Work to deliver mutual benefits for vendors and Hexo.
- Work in a cross departmental capacity, coordinating packaging requirements based on domestic and international regulations while collaborating with Marketing, R&D, Operations, QHSE, Compliance and Procurement to bring design concepts to life.
- Oversee and manage all steps in the procurement value stream, including but not limited to the creation of technical packaging designs, prototype development, and performance testing.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of products to determine their physical characteristics, special handling requirements, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required for packaging.
- Create packaging development plans & timelines that follow the technical stage gate process: create trial protocols, lead plant trials, conduct tests and analyze results to ensure successful delivery of quality standards.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions; internally and externally.
- Consistently evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews.
- Ensure Operations and Quality Assurance understand and apply the packaging designs to well established specifications.
- In conjunction with the Supplier Quality Assurance function, develop a material non-conformance program to ensure vendors and suppliers can be informed and provide proactive responses to HEXO.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Industrial Design or other related field is required.
- Minimum 10 years buying experience in consumer-packaged goods, 5-7 years in Technical Buying.
- Demonstrated Certified Buying experience and certification recognised throughout industry.
- Well documented track record with In-depth knowledge of material selection, packaging design and testing, package component procurement, and packaging machinery.
- Strong project management skills in developing project timelines with multiple cross-functional touch points. Knowledge of Waterfall techniques is an important asset.
- Experience managing material portfolios across regional and global supply base; hardware, services and consulting.
- Purchasing experience with annual spends +1MM
- Demonstrated effective problem-solving skills both individually and within a team.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be able to manage complex multiple projects.
- Bilingualism, oral and written French and English, is an asset.
- Innovative thinking with ability to deliver continuous improvement initiatives.
- Strong leadership capabilities and a results orientation.
- Ability to participate and lead cross-functional teams and develop rapport with all levels of the organization.
- Highly developed communication skills with ability to influence and negotiate.
- Knowledge of Project Management fundamentals.
- Proficient in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Office (i.e. Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and an ERP system.
HEXO Corp. expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, or genetic information and encourages applications from all minority groups.