Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities (SCHC) is dedicated to meeting the diverse, holistic health needs of the people of Scarborough by addressing the physical, mental, social, financial and environmental aspects of their health. Through the promotion of healthy lifestyles and delivery of a comprehensive range of culturally competent health and social services, we cultivate vital and connected communities.
We are currently looking to hire a:
Food Bank Worker
1-Full Time (35 hrs/wk)
Community Services provides front line delivery of basic life requirements including food, clothing furniture, housing assistance and one to one advocacy for income supports. Our community is comprised of low income families, single parent led families, youth, seniors, hidden homeless and street homeless.
Reporting To: Coordinator, Social Support/Community Services Manager
Department: Community Services
The Food Bank Worker works in a team environment, providing basic needs to families, seniors, youth and single adults and street homeless individuals. This team member is responsible for supporting all Community Services programs including the food, furniture and clothing banks, on-site meal programs and seasonal programs.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Consistently lifting, carrying and moving up to 50lbs of product repeatedly
- Using provided equipment (ie. dollies/rolling bins) to move up to 600lbs of products between the program spaces
- Receive, document, and stock shelves, freezers and fridges with deliveries and donations
- Maintains clothing bank as required, stocking shelves & organizing clothing
- Mentor students and volunteers in our service delivery
- Maintain a safe, clean working environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external partners
- Complete comprehensive intake and screening and connecting clients to relevant resources through referrals
- Maintain and update client databases, trip sheets, vehicle maintenance, fuel purchases, and incident reports
- Perform other duties as assigned that are reasonable within the scope of the job.
Scope and Accountability
· Works with larger Community Services team to support client advocacy
· Works with the coordinator around safety issues, volunteer assignments, and intake processes
· Identifies trends and client needs
· If necessary, willingness to drive an SCHC vehicle for the purposes of the clothing, food, and furniture bank, ensuring safe operation and maintenance of the vehicle and according to manufacturer recommendations
Educational and/or Professional Qualifications:
- High Scholl Diploma or GED
- Social service worker diploma (Asset)
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities through 1-2 years of work experience in similar field
- Comfortable using computers, familiar with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.)
- A willingness to work with clients who face ongoing challenges
- Valid driver’s license (“G” class) to drive in Ontario
- Experience driving a large vehicle (Asset))
Level of Experience:
- Experience working with the vulnerable population
- Customer service skills
- Warehouse experience is considered an asset
Skills and Attributes:
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Sensitivity to and awareness of cultural, racial, socio-economic diversity within the community
· Oral and/or written fluency in other languages relevant to the community the program serves is a definite asset
· Skills in conflict resolution, mediation and crisis management
· Good problem solving skills
· Subject to Ministry of Transportation Ontario Driver’s Abstract
· Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team
Significant Working Conditions
· Ability to lift/carry up to 50lbs and move up to 600lbs using equipment provided (ie. dollies/rolling bins) on a regular basis
· Flexibility of hours –evenings and weekend work may be required
· Working with clients who sometimes exhibit challenging behaviours.
Remuneration: $18.49 -$21.28
Pay Band: G
Please note: All other conditions of employment are set out in the collective agreement between SCHC and SEIU.
Please reply in confidence to HR By email: Click APPLY
by no later than March 13, 2020.
Note: Please quote Food Bank Worker in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interviews will be contacted.
SCHC values equity, inclusion and accessibility. We welcome those who have a demonstrated commitment to upholding these values and who will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, newcomers, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or LGBTQ2S+
Please note that all qualified candidates, eligible to be employed in Canada, are encouraged to apply.
As an employer, we strive for excellence as a workplace and are committed to building a workforce that enhances our capacity to meet the needs of the diverse communities we serve. SCHC is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our clients, employees, job applicants, suppliers and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information or use our services. We respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and its associated regulations.
For more information about our programs and services, please visit our website at www.schcontario.ca.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Life insurance
Job Type: Full-time
- Food Bank Worker: 2 years (Required)