What You'll Be Doing
- You'll be helping some of Canada's brightest entrepreneurs get their books & systems organized so that they can manage their business well and keep their staff, customers and the CRA happy. You'll give them the gift of peace of mind and they will love you for it.
- We do important work but we have fun doing it and our culture is highly collaborative, supportive and light-hearted.
- You will be doing full-cycle bookkeeping including monthly reconciliations, sales tax management, payables & receivables, payroll, invoicing and bill payment for your own set of clients. You will maintain, monitor and reconcile GL accounts, including but not limited to cash, bank reconciliations, prepaid expenses, accounts receivable, accounts payable, accrued liabilities and inter-company and point of sale (POS)/system uploads. You will identify issues and errors, investigate discrepancies and develop resolutions. You will also communicate with the CRA regarding information requests, assessments and instalments.
- The most complex client work we have will be assigned to you. This will include a fast-paced marketing agency and e-commerce clients that use multiple interconnected software systems beyond the accounting software.
- There is a current Team Leader who will assist in onboarding and training you during your first three months.
- As the client base grows, you will help us hire part-time bookkeepers and you will onboard and manage their work.
- You will use Financial Cents to manage all your and your team's work.
- Our clients are smart, urban business people, mostly in software, tech, e-commerce, agencies, professional services, virtual events, holding companies, real estate, massage therapy and chiropractic or physiotherapy clinics. They are mostly in Ontario and BC. We have no restaurants, physical retailers, manufacturing, farming or trades clients.
- We only use Xero and QuickBooksOnline for accounting and we use Hubdoc and Excel extensively. You must be strong in all four of those.
- You need to be comfortable learning new web-based software quickly. In addition to the above, we use Plooto, Wagepoint, KnitHR, ReceiptBank, WayPay, G-Suite, Slack and Zoom but there are new tools coming out on a regular basis and we will always want to help our clients use the latest and best tools.
- Over time you'll play an increasing leadership role in the fast-growing operations of our firm. You'll be instrumental in shaping our approach to client service, and our systems and workflows.
Your First Year
- Your first three months would be spent working closely with our existing Team Leader, learning the role, our clients, our systems and processes.
- Your next three to six months would be spent with you managing a full workload of client work, without a team under you.
- Around roughly seven to nine months into the role (and that timing is a rough estimate and may change based on the firm's workload) we would aim to bring on the first more junior bookkeeper to work on your team.
- We'd look to build your team up from there in line with your capabilities and goals.
Job Fit Criteria
To be considered a good fit for this team leader role, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You are legally able to work in Canada and you are physically based in Canada.
- You speak, read and write English at a native speaker level.
- You are a qualified, certified bookkeeper with a bookkeeping or accounting certification from a recognized Canadian college or program. We have a very positive view of candidates with the Certified Professional Bookkeeper certification from CPB Canada. You must have formal bookkeeping or accounting training - you cannot be self-taught.
- You have a minimum of 5 years (if you have foreign experience before that) or 8 years of cumulative Canadian bookkeeping experience (if all of your career has been in Canada).
- You have worked under a CPA in a Canadian accounting or bookkeeping firm for at least 2 years.
- You are looking for between 30 to 40 hours per week of ongoing, steady, bookkeeping work primarily during business hours with monthly retained clients. There is flexibility in when you do the work but our clients expect weekday, daytime availability.
- You are certified and very proficient in Xero and Quickbooks Online. Xero and QBO are the only accounting systems we use. Quickbooks Desktop only experience is not sufficient.
- You have your own computer, fast internet and a suitable, professional office or a quiet room in your home to conduct video conference meetings from during the day.
- It would make you a strong candidate if you have supervised or managed the work of other bookkeepers or have suitable and relevant experience managing other teams, but this is not essential.
- The role pays in the $26-35/hr range depending on whether or not you have your CPA and based on your experience managing teams. Those rates include a base rate plus a performance bonus. The posted salaries of $50k-73k per year assume a 40-hour work-week (2094 hours/annum). We'd be happy to consider candidates who want to work closer to 30-35 hours per week.
Application deadline: 2021-03-22
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00-$73,000.00 per year
This is a 100% virtual role. There are no in-person expectations.
- Xero: 1 year (preferred)
- QuickBooks Online (not desktop): 2 years (preferred)
- working under a CPA at an accounting or bookkeeping firm: 2 years (preferred)
- Canadian bookkeeping: 4 years (preferred)