Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guidedby a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, ourwork is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multipleneeds, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families andindividuals. For more information,please visit www.bissellcentre.org.
Currently, Bissell Centre is lookingfor the right individual to fill a full time 6 month contract position of Mental HealthSupport Staff.
The key function ofthis position is to assist individuals who live with mental healthconcerns and would benefit from accessing a communityoutreach worker. The goal of the Mental Health Support Worker is to connect individuals to appropriate mental health andaddiction supports and provide short term case management through acquisition,retention, maintenance, and improvement of an individual’s community livingskills. The Mental Health Support Worker will provide the services in anoutreach and in-reach capacity.
Specificresponsibilities of the position include:
- Support individuals who live with mental healthconcerns and who live in or identify with Edmonton’s inner city.
- Build rapport and trust while focusing on the participants’quality of life, from there assist in the creation of short term individualizedcase plans with participant identifying service goals that relate to thestability of their mental health.
- Refer program participants to appropriatecounseling/support professionals to deal with mental health concerns andaddictions services.
- Support and consult with medical, psychiatric,and psychological professionals to ensure maintenance of medication regimes andclarification of issues that arise.
- Empower participants’ ability to maintain andmanage life with mental illness.
- Be the first contactperson for Bissell Centre staff when a participant is having a crisis due to amental illness.
- Develop and maintain appropriate mechanisms forassessment, service plan development and service delivery.
- Maintain accurate andup-to-date case notes using prescribed Bissell Centre procedures using thedatabase, updating program information, and critical incident reports withinestablished time standards.
- Provide latest programinformation, update statistics and good news stories on time and as required.
- Submit all programreceipts and mileage claims in a timely manner.
- Attend and participatein supervision and community meetings as prescribed by the Manager of theIntegrated Case Management Department.
- Attend caseload reviewmeetings with the Mental Health department as well as monthly meetings with theentire Integrated Case Management Department.
- Participate in probation and annual performancereviews.
- Participate in regular Community Space lunchcoverage and Community Safety Walks
- Perform other dutiesas required.
The ideal candidate would possess the followingqualifications:
- Degree or Diploma in Social Science or relateddiscipline
- Minimum of one year related employmentexperience e.g. high-risk populations, mental health experience
- Alberta Class 5 License, satisfactory driver’sabstract, proof of liability insurance and a vehicle
- Strong written and verbal communication andinterpersonal skills, result oriented, good time management, strongorganizational, problem-solving and advocacy skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word andExcel programs
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessnessand Edmonton’s urban core
- Familiarity working with high risk populationsand an understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issues
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resumeand cover letter by October 4th,2019 to:
Manager, Integrated CaseManagement Services
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
E-mail: rfleming @ bissellcentre.org
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, onlycandidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is anequal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our communityand welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race,national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation,gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, geneticcharacteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle ofequal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provinciallyand federally legislated protected grounds.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract