Cape Breton Correctional Facility, Sydney, Nova Scotia
MHA Offender Health Cape Breton
Type of Employment:
Casual Relief (3% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Admin Professionals NSGEU
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
*** Please note, this position is located at the Cape Breton Correctional Facility, Sydney, Nova Scotia; employee orientation will take place in Sydney, Nova Scotia***
Reporting to the Program Leader (Clinical Operations Supervisor), the Booking & Registration Clerk is the initial contact for the clinic. The Booking & Registration Clerk provides clerical support to clinic operations including the interdisciplinary team including nurses, physicians/psychiatrists, and the Clinical Operations Supervisor. Clerical support may include but is not limited to registering and discharging clients, facilitation of referrals and appointments to external providers faxing, photocopying, answering phone calls, data entry, responding to public inquiries, filing and maintaining client charts. Works collaboratively with support staff from other facilities, mentoring when indicated; may be required to cover or assist other facilities with clerical duties when needed. Ensures documentation is complete and accurate as per standards.
- Grade XII plus one year related experience or graduate of recognized one year related business/clerical program
- Previous experience working in a correctional or secure environment
- Mental Health First Aide is an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of mental health and addictions patient population with the ability to determine urgency and appropriateness of referral, and when to obtain clinical input
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office programs preferred
- Customer service skills required
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to triage phone calls appropriately
- Organization and multi-tasking skills
Demonstrated ability and flexibility to meet the demands of a dynamic environment.
- STAR registration experience required
- Medical Terminology preferred
- Ability to remain calm and de-escalate challenging situations
- Maintaining and reordering of both clinical and office supplies
- Demonstrated commitment to confidentially and ability to be tactful
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
$20.0923 - $21.9129 Hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit - NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/