Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity with an expected end date of October 31, 2021 to cover a secondment. Secondments are welcome.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Financial Services provides financial leadership, services and guidance in support of the academic, research and service activities of Western’s community. Research Finance provides exemplary financial management to our research community.
The Accounting Assistant provides financial and administrative support to Financial Officers in the Research Finance unit. The incumbent is the initial point of contact for researchers and administrative personnel, providing guidance and information related to financial transactions, account statuses, flow of funds and financial reporting. The Accounting Assistant also handles inquiries pertaining to sponsor guidelines and University policies to ensure adherence. As a member of the Research Finance team this role directly supports our research community and Western’s mandate to foster research excellence.
- 2 Year Community College Diploma in Accounting
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 2 years of experience working in a computerized financial environment
- Experience working at an educational institution is preferred
- Experience working with PeopleSoft Financials is preferred
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Word and Excel skills
- Well developed organizational skills required to effectively handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate internal and external policies, guidelines and practices to stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to handle enquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
- Communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner and adapt communication style to suit the situation and the audience
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative and follow through on work assignments
- Proven ability and natural inclination to interact with people in professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to provide guidance and support to ensure compliance with processes in a way that is positively received
- Attention to detail with the ability to process information with high levels of accuracy while meeting deadlines
- Initiative and ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment with minimum supervision
- Analytical and problem solving skills to address and resolve non-routine challenges
- Adapts willingly to new or changing requirements and embraces new ideas
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.