MUNICIPALITY OF MIDDLESEX CENTRE - FIRE SERVICES
Fire Prevention and Training Officer
The strength in Middlesex Centre lies with its people. The population of the community consists of both long-term residents and more recent arrivals. There are farmers and commuters, young families and retirees. The residents of Middlesex Centre are a diverse demographic, and the key factor in the lively community environment of Middlesex Centre.
Middlesex Centre Fire Services is searching for highly motivated, adaptable and communicative team players. Our ideal Fire Prevention and Training Officer will value integrity, honesty and demonstrate pride in being efficient, reliable and accountable in the utilization of his or her unique skill set.
Reporting to the Director of Fire Services-Fire Chief for Investigation and Inspection and the Chief Training Officer for components of Training, the Fire Prevention & Training Officer is responsible for providing fire safety code compliance, inspections, investigations, public education, training, and for the ongoing development and implementation of a Municipal prevention program. The Fire Prevention & Training Officer will conduct fire prevention activities in Middlesex Centre and a number of surrounding Municipalities. He/she must be on call for investigations and shall carry a cell phone for immediate response.
- Ontario Fire College Fire Prevention Officer Diploma or Equivalent
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1031 Fire Inspector 1 & 2
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1035 Public Fire Educator
- NAFI Fire Investigator (Current member in good standing)
- Possess a valid and current standard first aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate (Level C) including Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification or greater;
- In possession of a valid Ontario “D” driver’s license with a “Z” endorsement
- Minimum of 3-5 years work experience in a similar role with practical experiences as a firefighter preferred
- Thorough knowledge of Ontario’s Fire Legislation, Regulations and the OH&S Act
- Experience with conflict resolution and problem solving
- Experience conducting fire inspections/investigations with associated reporting with deficiency follow-up
- Experience preparing reports and correspondence within established timelines
- Computer literacy is also a requirement. Familiarity with spreadsheets, word processing, Fire Pro or other fire report management platforms
- Possess superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively as a member of an effective and professional team;
- Have a strong desire to serve the community, possess a strong work ethic, sense of loyalty and duty, coupled with the ability and willingness to follow instructions promptly and efficiently.
The salary range for 2019 is $69,166.50 to $80,886.00 with a 37.5-hour work week and requires attendance at Council meetings and public meeting from time to time as required outside of normal office hours.
(For a detailed synopsis for this position, please visit our website at www.middlesexcentre.on.ca)
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter quoting Posting 2019-014, outlining qualifications and experience no later than 4:00 pm on Friday, October 4, 2019 to:
Human Resource and Health and Safety Coordinator
Municipality of Middlesex Centre
10227 Ilderton Road, RR2 Ilderton, ON N0M 2A0
Middlesex Centre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure your access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants who apply, but only those applicants to be interviewed will be acknowledged. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for candidate selection purposes only.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $69,166.00 to $80,886.00 /year
- related/practical firefighter: 1 year (Preferred)
- DCS / DEC (Preferred)
- "D" driver's license with "Z" endorsement (Preferred)
- NFPA 1035 Public Fire Educator (Preferred)
- CPR (Level C)/AED (Preferred)
- NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector 1 & 2 (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)