Roots is more than just an iconic Canadian retailer, we are a group of passionate employees who act with integrity, trust each other and do what is right. We work in a space where people can grow and develop, with a team of people who own results and are dedicated to seeing Roots win. We seek to build longstanding relationships with partners who share our commitment to maintaining high ethical standards of operation.
We are currently seeking a Design Assistant who can be nice, will seek inspiration from our roots, can commit to achieving results the right way and loves to think big to join us on our journey.
The Design Assistant is a member of our Design team, reporting directly to a Sr. Designer. The Design Associate will assist in executing all aspects of product development for their specialized category. This individual is responsible for the information on multiple season products, from seasonal direction hand off to pre-product sign off.
The Design Assistant for Roots will be responsible for and evaluated on the following:
- Conducting market trend research on an ongoing basis, which assists in the identification of seasonal fashion direction and trends
- Creating and maintaining the Product Development Bill of Materials and ensuring follow through on all fabrics and trims, in accordance with company standard prior to usage
- Selecting and validating the construction requirements for all styles and fabrications
- Utilizing advanced design skills to create original and innovative product design that appropriately reflects the Roots Canada design philosophy
- Participating in the colour selection and lab dip process for all new and existing fabrics as well as setting all color standards for future reference
- Entering and updating all data as required into PDM and Momentus
- Creating, distributing and maintaining communication on product to vendors
- Adhering to multiple season product development calendar and ensuring critical sign off deadlines are being met
- Managing the development of SMU special requests, as they pertain to each delivery
Top candidates for the Design Assistant role will have the following:
The Design Assistant role is eligible for:
- 2+ years working experience within a Fashion / Garment Design role, with a strong understanding of women's apparel and garment construction within related position.
- Education in Fashion Design is an asset
- Well developed CAD development skills for construction of garments and merchandised presentations.
- Prior experience with web PDM (Product Development Manager) is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for collaboration with internal partners.
- Computer Skills; high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, Photoshop. Expertise in Adobe Illustrator is essential.
- General knowledge of merchandising and critical product construction.
- Excellent presentation skills of both draft designs and final presentation.
The Roots Work In Comfort (Flexible Work) program,
A generous clothing allowance and employee discount
Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
Founded in 1973, Roots Canada is a publicly held Canadian lifestyle brand that sells apparel, leather bags, small leather goods, footwear and active athletic wear with over 100 retail stores in North America and Asia.