Who We Are
BATL, The Backyard Axe Throwing League, is a dynamic and progressive work community with a long track record of internal career advancement. Our mission at BATL is to show people the power of being good to each other using the axe as a tool to build community, inspired by our backyard roots. Founded in 2006, we’re immensely proud to have been the first organization in the world to offer an urban venue to experience the thrill of indoor axe throwing in leagues, group parties, walk-ins, and team building. BATL is one of the quickest growing brands in the sporting entertainment industry, with extensive national press coverage and a fanatical following of league members and event guests. Almost 2 million people have thrown axes at one of our BATL venues and we are now poised for imminent rapid growth. BATL is a proud founding member of the International Axe Throwing Federation (IATF).
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for the best people to build our HQ team and be part of our growth story. If you are an analytical business driver with a strong operations-related background in rapid growth environments, then we’d like to speak with you. Demands will vary, with your role as the Senior Director, Operations managing the crafting, enhancing, and/or codifying of the company’s centralized operations support of our 19 (and growing) axe throwing venues across North America. Based in our Toronto HQ, you will supervise the Venue Operations team including Senior Operations Manager, Manager of Venue Operations, and remote venue GMs, while interacting regularly with our leadership team, HQ team, venue staff, and third-party vendors. This role requires excellent cross-functional collaboration and will bridge the gap between local, regional, and HQ stakeholders.
Your Specific Areas of Responsibility Will Include:
Venue & GM Support
- Develop programs to support General Managers to drive their venues’ revenue, talent life cycle, best-in-class facilities, and safety/regulatory compliance.
- Determine key performance metrics and review results of local and HQ initiatives to identify opportunities for the company.
- Ensure venue business needs are incorporated into all organizational touchpoints.
- Continuously advance BATL’s best practices and standard operating procedures company-wide and ensure GMs successfully implement key action items.
- Manage GMs’ weekly goals for revenue and other metrics using YOY comparisons and monthly operational trends to drive higher venue performance
- Monitor Guest feedback to identify opportunities for an enhanced entertainment and hospitality experience.
- Foster BATL’s brand and community company-wide by being an example of performance and cultural standards.
- Collaborate with HQ on leading staff training and development.
- Provide feedback, reviews and performance improvement plans for direct reports and advise GMs how to review and support their team.
- Ensure staff performance issues and barriers are addressed where needed.
- Utilize resources of your Operations team to execute on all aspects of venue operations.
- Serve as the voice of the venues to HQ and assist in the development and execution of both local and HQ priorities.
- Serve as the escalation point for GMs on key items, supporting and escalating to HQ team department heads as needed.
- Support Leadership and HQ team on special projects as needed.
- Support execution of BATL Marketing team’s strategy, including venue participation in local events and relationship building with community leaders.
- Maximize customer acquisition and retention by driving high levels of hospitality and brand standards, as well as delivery of innovative engagement opportunities.
- Work with the Expansion team to implement successful roll-out of new locations and on-board their local teams.
Strategy and Intelligence
- Play an active role in developing the existing products and services to best serve the customer experience and drive revenue.
- Analyze complex and sometimes ambiguous business issues to develop insightful recommendations to improve current systems in place.
- Maintain knowledge of key competitors and industry trends.
- Monitor and engage with third parties to optimize operations through supplier and business development relationships.
- You and your team will manage company-wide inventory, shipping, and distribution of merchandise, trophies, axes, and supplies to venues.
- You and your team will manage national and local vendor relationships with support from HQ team and GMs where applicable.
Your skills and qualifications:
- 8+ years of senior experience in operations management or business development, building hospitality, entertainment, or retail businesses, including team supervision.
- You are legally eligible to work in Canada, located or willing to relocate to the Greater Toronto Area.
- You have a keen eye for talent and ability to unlock the potential of high performing teams through personal relationships and EQ, with experience managing functional groups in a matrix organization.
- You have an aptitude for a growth-oriented team environment, fostering a culture of respect, camaraderie, and inclusiveness.
- You have an innate ability to inspire a team including remote staff with strong leadership skills, high confidence, positivity, and EQ.
- You are detail oriented, highly organized, with experience managing and prioritizing complex projects with multiple stakeholders.
- You have a creative mindset, with a focus toward achieving results, problem-solving, and driving process improvement to efficiently do what needs to be done.
- You share our entrepreneurial orientation, with the ability to move quickly and thrive on rapid change.
- You have proven business development and networking skills to create and leverage third party relationships.
- You have the ability to assess strategic position and identify opportunities for advancement.
- You have a methodical, data-driven mentality with sound business judgment.
- You possess the flexibility to work evenings and weekends with frequent travel to other cities in our growing network of venues.
- You have strong communication skills with ability to speak and write effectively at an executive level.
- You possess a high level of personal organization and productivity including proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint. Experience with Trello, Slack, and Google Drive is an asset.
What We Can Offer You
This is a growth opportunity to join a highly motivated and visionary team while playing an integral role in building BATL.
- Full-time permanent opportunity to work with a small team in a professionally challenging while socially informal environment
- Downtown Toronto bright historic loft workspace within BATL HQ, near Gardiner Expressway and DVP, within walking distance of Yonge-University subway Line 1, Union Station regional rail hub
- Comprehensive health benefits package, available to you after successful completion of your 3-month probationary period
- Complimentary access to the thousands of training courses available at Lynda.com, LinkedIn’s learning portal
- Membership in Perkopolis.com providing access to dozens of discounts on shopping, travel, experiences, and more
- Staff discounts on BATL apparel, merchandise, and axe throwing, including 50% off league memberships
- Flexibility in work hours and opportunities to work remotely when practical
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $110,000.00 to $130,000.00 /year
- Operations management: 8 years (Required)
- team supervision: 4 years (Required)
- Hospitality, Entertainment, or Retail: 4 years (Preferred)
- Toronto, ON (Required)