Position Title: Planner, Mechanical
Location: North Vancouver, BC
The Planner position reports to the Operations Manager. The primary duty is planning the production of mechanical parts for custom systems and off-the-shelf components. This is achieved by translating sales orders into work orders for shop floor and by ensuring the flow of raw material for machining.
Secondary duties for the role will consist of participating in the cycle counting program and ensuring inventory accuracy. Continuous improvement should be central to the Planner’s thinking.
Pick List (Sales Order) Processing
· Ensure that pick lists have the necessary engineering information to proceed.
· Create work orders as required for top-level items.
· Create work orders for sub-assemblies and machined parts.
· Source raw material for machining ensuring all technical and class requirements are met. This includes the purchasing of classed raw materials and castings
· Manage all testing requirements for work orders, ensuring parts are tested properly or that proper stamping and material testing requirements are met.
· Determine material testing requirements and coordinate production of test samples and their delivery to the appropriate testing facility.
· Coordinate all outplant (anodizing, hardening, grinding, etc.) activity.
· In collaboration with the Production Supervisor, maintain the work order schedule so progress towards shipping on time can be monitored.
· Cross-train on other processes to support variable demand, vacation coverage, etc. Roles to be familiar with include production supervisor and purchasing agent roles.
· Participate in weekly cycle-counting including root-cause analysis of discrepancies, and offer improvements as necessary.
· Participate in the annual physical inventory.
· Ensure data integrity of bills of materials on the work orders.
· Issue all components and materials to the work orders with attention to detail as to meet our inventory accuracy goals.
· Work with Warehouse and Production Supervisors to set up systems to ensure inventory control is strengthened in all areas of the facility.
· Transact material on the shop floor sign-out sheets.
· Execute inventory transaction in the ERP system. This will involve executing inventory movements, transfers, back flushing, issuing and scrapping transactions.
Continuous Improvement Duties
· Adopt or adapt Lean philosophies where applicable to your area of responsibility and introduce the 5S program to your work environment.
· Seek cost/waste reductions and suggest continuous improvement projects for the department.
· Participate in the daily morning meeting for the Assembly and Machining Depts.
· Your performance will be measured by your ability to contribute and deliver to the responsibilities above.
- 3-5 years experience in manufacturing environment
- Experience creating and monitoring work orders, and evaluating product costs
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience in inventory management and cycle counting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly MS Excel.
The following qualifications are preferred, but not required:
· APICS Certification or currently pursuing
- Knowledge of Syspro ERP
- Ability to develop/enforce policies and procedures
While responsible to the Operations Manager, the position has key working relationships with:
· Production, warehouse & shipping personnel (both JEL and JTL)
· The sales team
Each and every staff member in Jastram Group has a responsibility to work constructively and cooperatively with every other member of staff to ensure that Jastram customers are served in accordance with Jastram’s Mission, Values, policies and procedures.
Jastram promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, Veterans
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent