The Corporation of the Town of Bancroft
Position: Town General Manager
Date: May 26, 2021
Affiliation: Full-time (Employment Agreement)
Issued By: Council
General Scope & Accountabilities:
The primary role of the Town General Manager is to facilitate the implementation of strategic initiatives adopted and approved by the Council of the Town of Bancroft.
The purpose of these initiatives is to provide the necessary services and service levels to make Bancroft a desirable place to live, play, work and invest in. To provide the sustainable resources required to meet this goal it is necessary that the assessment base is continuously growing and all operations and functions are performed in the most efficient way possible.
This position will require a variety of skills and an individual who is forward thinking with the ability to engage the public, staff and Council in an open, friendly and positive manner.
The position will take direction from Council and will liaise with the Human Resources Committee to coordinate the activities of the individual departments to meet the goals and expectations of Council.
The position will rely on the input and expertise of staff members in determining the most effective and efficient means of accomplishing Council objectives and direction.
Effective communication skills and building a team environment are crucial components of this position.
This position may be deemed as full or part-time depending on the goals of the successful applicant.
Reporting to Council and to the Human Resources Committee, the Town General Manager is responsible for the efficient administration of the General of Bancroft, performing professional, administrative, management, and strategic planning functions to ensure effective management of Town affairs and operations. As a member of the HR committee, the Town Manager works with Council to lead, direct and coordinate all Managers and Department Heads in developing, implementing and administering the objectives, policies and programs of the Town in accordance with organizational plans, applicable by- laws and regulations.
- Organize administrative tasks in a way that allows the Town to operate efficiently and successfully;
- Advocates for, and leads economic growth and development opportunities for the Town;
- Work closely with managers and senior staff to ensure the established policies and procedures of the Town are followed in all departments and assist in the development of new policies and procedures as required;
- Provide advice to Council on non-departmental specific policies (such as Health and Safety, Resident / Customer Service, Staffing, Operations, Finance, Accessibility AODA, etc);
- Provides high-level supervision of management practices, policies and administration.
Human Resources Functions:
- Facilitates and participates on hiring committees for management staff;
- Act as the Council/Staff Liaison, along with the department manager, during Union negotiations;
- Provide oversight and direction to department heads and senior staff;
- Conduct period performance reviews with department heads.
Public Relations Functions:
- Represent the Town at public meetings and committee meetings, contributing high-value ideas and feedback;
- Interact in a positive and constructive manner with the public, responding to questions and feedback in a timely manner;
- Interact with government representatives, bringing to their attention specific issues that may affect the Town now or in the future;
- Act as a media contact for the Town.
Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrates a commitment to promoting the social ‘capital’ of the Town including the development of a clean, healthy, natural environment and a safe community for the enjoyment of all residents.
- Demonstrates an ability to move the Town forward by actively growing the assessment base;
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and acquire an understanding of municipal government structures and functions, including upper tier and provincial influences and jurisdictions;
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to explain complex issues to staff, Council and the general public;
- Ability to recognize competing priorities amongst various stakeholders (i.e. constituents, homeowners, businesses, Council, staff, vendors, visitors, and the community at large), dealing with any issues that arise using tact and diplomacy;
- Strong project management skills to move multiple complex projects through to completion in a transparent and structured fashion;
- Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with personnel, vendors and community stakeholders;
- Ability to effectively manage a complex organization with multiple departments and competing priorities;
- Leadership acumen to lead the Management Team in a cohesive and effective fashion;
- Sufficient operational skill to confidently step in and act on behalf of a department head or manager in the event of an emergency or other unforeseen circumstances;
- Knowledge of legal and budgetary processes which impact municipal governments;
- Awareness of community stakeholders and their connection to the community;
- Understanding of social media platforms and ability to clearly, concisely and attractively promote the Town and Town activities to the broader community using these tools.
Knowledge, Training and Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in Business Administration, Municipal Management, or a related field would be an asset (an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered);
- Previous management experience is required (this does not necessarily need to be in a municipal setting);
- Previous experience working in, or with, a municipal government or agency is preferred, but not required;
- Experience working in both union and non-union environments;
- Experience working in a multi-departmental setting with competing priorities.
Please note: The above statement reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered as a conclusive description of all work required in the position. This job description may be subject to change to meet organizational, resident or operational requirements.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $100,000.00-$125,000.00 per year