Founded in 1960 and a community leader in Ottawa, the Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa (YSB) is one of the largest and most comprehensive non‑profit agencies serving and empowering youth in this community. More than 350 caring professionals work from 20 locations across the city to deliver a vast range of programs and services that support at‑risk youth and their families. YSB is a multi-service agency that provides services in French and English in employment, health and housing, mental health, youth engagement and youth justice. We work in partnership to develop, deliver and advocate for better conditions, services and opportunities for youth and families. We receive funding from the Province of Ontario, the City of Ottawa, the United Way, and generous private donors.
What we offer
A values based agency that believes in and supports inclusion, diversity, accessibility and client empowerment
A community based organization that provides services to over 2500 local youth and families each month
Working in a dynamic team
An environment that encourages continuous learning by offering professional development and training opportunities
Comprehensive health benefits and pension (CAAT) for eligible full time and part time employees
Shelter Worker, YMES
December 12th, 2020
Regular part time
Position 1 Schedule:
Sunday 11:30pm-7:30am/Monday 7:30pm-7:30am (20hrs/week)
All rotations to begin January 10th, 2021.
Under the general direction of the Director of Community Services and the immediate supervision of the Coordinator of the Shelter, the Shelter Worker will provide immediate and responsive crisis support to the youth accessing the shelter as well as provide general support services and contribute to stable housing for youth in accordance with policies and directives established within YSB
- Assess requests for residential shelter services according to YSB policies and procedures and ensure alternatives are found if YSB services are not appropriate
- Conduct intake and discharge processes for youth accessing the Shelter
- Deliver individual, crisis intervention and assessment services
- Respond to crisis situations when required
- Support youth in accessing services within and beyond YSB
- Consult with other professionals involved with youth, including within YSB
- Ensure the effective day-to-day operations of the shelter and maintain general cleanliness of the property
- Assist residents of the shelter with cooperative living guidelines, including mediation and conflict resolution
- Be responsive to immediate needs of residents such as: getting their medications, access to food supplies, bus tickets etc.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge on current issues relating to youth
- Ensure familiarity with pertinent legislation
- Attend and participate in supervision and staff meetings
- Contribute to program and service development and evaluation
- Participate in identified training to ensure ongoing development of skills and abilities
- Ensure both electronic and physical client files are maintained and current within established guidelines
- May be required to supervise part time staff, students or volunteers
- Follows safe work practices as established by YSB and the program
(The qualifications are appended to the job description and are not intended to be part of the job description)
- Diploma or degree in social work or relevant field
- Two years’ experience working with youth, preferably in a residential setting
- Ability to work rotational shifts, including weekends and overnights
- Oral & written fluency in English is essential; Oral fluency in French is essential
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
YSB values diversity. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community.
Accommodation will be made available for applicants with a disability throughout the hiring process. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply. In the event a qualified candidate is not found, candidates that do not meet the qualifications indicated on the posting may be considered.