Take in gorgeous sunsets on the sandy beaches of Lake Huron, fish for salmon in the Saugeen River, hike trails through beautiful forests, and enjoy farmland that stretches as far as the eye can see. It will only take you a short time to realize that we value our heritage, respect the natural beauty of our environment, and enjoy our bucolic rural life style.
We also have the tremendous benefit of being a hospital partner to Bruce Power – which has embarked on one of the largest infrastructure projects in Canada with a $13 billion life-extension project that will continue through 2053, allowing its units to operate safely through to 2064.
South Bruce Grey Health Centre is a four-site hospital located in mid-western Ontario with locations in Kincardine, Walkerton, Chesley and Durham. We serve a community of 44,000 people, plus 10,000 seasonal residents and 30,000 tourists across our catchment area. Two hours from Toronto and London, and 90 minutes from Kitchener-Waterloo, all of our sites offer 24/7-hour emergency care. Other services include acute, coronary, obstetrical, surgical and a full range of diagnostic and ambulatory care services. SBGHC is complemented by four strong, vibrant and supportive Foundations, as well as an engaged Patient and Family Advisory Council.
Reporting to the Facilities Manager, the Facilities Supervisor provides leadership, supervision and technical knowledge to support the facilities team for functional, safe and reliable healthcare facilities that promote the well-being of patients and staff throughout the South Bruce Grey Health Centre. The incumbent will work within a team environment to develop and maintain plant and utility operations, 24 Hour Emergency on-call repair service, customer on-line facility work request system, planned maintenance programs, service contract administration, technical staff training, safety programs, grounds, heliport and parking support.
- Oversees the day-to-day operation and maintenance of four hospital buildings, building systems, in-house and contract service providers, purchasing for maintenance supplies and services, and customer service.
- Supervise facility staff to ensure work prioritization, completion and effectiveness of work assigned. Support staff in resolving technical issues that arise.
- Ensures effective utilization of the Computerized Maintenance Management System, including staff compliance with work assignment policy and procedures.
- Conducts inspections, issues work orders, ensures work is completed in accordance with applicable codes, standards and hospital policy and procedures.
- Utilizes effective skills in diplomacy, problem solving, critical thinking, teamwork, conflict resolution, management of competing demands, to handle a wide range of issues and service requirements.
- Directs the thorough investigation and resolution of complaints and incidents.
- Performs duties of Hospital Fire Chief and Heliport Manager.
- Authorizes purchase orders, tracks and monitors site expenses, manages service contracts such as: Elevator, Chiller, Medical Gas System, Building Automation System, CMMS, Electrical Substation Maintenance, Emergency Generators, Boilers, etc.
- Makes repair / replacement decisions for equipment.
- Coordinates implementation and commissioning of projects as assigned.
- Directs compliance with contingency and emergency planning requirements.
- Implements appropriate staffing, staffing patterns, schedules, including types of assignments, skill mix, recruitment and staff planning priorities.
- Participates in recruitment, selection, and hiring
- Conducts performance reviews and disciplinary process as required.
- Ensures the management of a safe working environment for all staff, including occupational health and safety, infection control, equipment selection requirements.
- Ensures that facilities staff are up to date and follow OH&S policies and work in a safe manner utilizing all required health and safety equipment and protective devices
- Recommends new or revised methods and/or work practices to management
- Ensures that staff are following established procedures and SBGHC policies
- Ensures timekeeping entry is accurate and up to date at all times, coordinates vacation requests for staff
- Reviews overtime, call back and attendance for service and cost effectiveness.
- Provides input to the annual department operating and capital budget process.
- Facilitates effective technical and customer service skills training and development for staff.
- Develops policy and procedures to ensure safe effective work practices.
- Evaluates and revises assignment structure to optimize staff utilization and customer satisfaction.
- Evaluates and revises work methods to achieve service standards.
- Promotes education and research activities that contribute to improvements in quality of services.
- Facilitates regular staff meetings and participates in hospital committees are required
Applicants must meet with following criteria:
- 3-5 years Plant Operation and Maintenance experience plus a minimum of two years maintenance supervisory experience in a unionized environment and/or College diploma in Building Science, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering Technology or a College certificate in Supervisory or Management Studies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of complex building systems, codes and standards.- preferably with some experience in a hospital environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage in-house trades staff and external contractors, consultants, inspectors and suppliers; in providing service in a challenging acute care hospital environment.
- Excellent computer skills in the following applications: MS Office, Computerized Maintenance Management System, and Building Automation System.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, staff development and team leadership skills.
- Effective trouble shooting, problem-solving, decision-making and organizational skills.
- A strong customer service orientation. Ability to train and mentor staff in technical and customer service requirements as necessary.
- Commitment to continuous professional development and continuing education.
- Demonstrated knowledge and adherence to SBGHC Core Values (Leadership, Integrity, Excellence, Empathy, Accountability, Collaboration and Safety First)
- Advocates and supports a culture of patient safety and demonstrates an understanding of how the department service and assigned responsibilities contribute to overall patient safety at SBGHC through patient safety knowledge, skills and attributes
- Ability and willingness to ensure patient safety e.g. “following routine practices and practicing diligent hand washing, reporting adverse events”.
- Available for regular assignment of on-call responsibilities as required.
SBGHC is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. SBGHC will provide reasonable accommodation in compliance with AODA when notified by a candidate that accommodation due to a disability is required for the interview process.
Job Type: Full-time
- English (Preferred)
- French (Preferred)