About John Ross & Sons
For over 70 years John Ross & Sons Ltd has specialized in scrap metal recycling and the trading and processing of all grades of ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metal. John Ross & Sons Ltd is a family owned company based in Halifax, Nova Scotia with full scaling operation sites in Goodwood and Truro for ferrous scrap and main office in Halifax for non-ferrous scrap. We are the largest scrap metal recycling facility in Atlantic Canada.
About The Role
We are currently seeking an energetic Lead Heavy Duty Mechanic to join our team at our Goodwood facility. This is just 10 minutes outside of Halifax. The Lead Heavy Duty Mechanic will be a key player tasked with ensuring all of our equipment and machinery is in good working order, ensuring smooth operations. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience working on Excavators and Loaders. The candidate will report directly to the Yard General Manager, and will be working alongside our Shredder Manager for any needs for our shredder. The Lead Heavy Duty Mechanic will manage also directly our Apprentice Mechanic.
- Perform maintenance and repairs of heavy equipment (see the full list below)
- Develop a preventative and predictive maintenance and repair program.
- Diagnose cause of any malfunction and perform repairs to manufacturer's specifications.
- Schedule dealer service as necessary
- Schedule appointments at the local garage for our shunt truck repairs if cannot complete on site.
- Schedule third party mechanic for larger jobs as necessary.
- Schedule third party mechanic for bobcat/skid steer repairs
- Maintain a clean and tidy personal work area and assist with general cleaning duties in the maintenance shed.
- Maintain a daily record of all work tasks and materials.
- Support and encourage continuous improvement in work practices.
- Perform related work as required.
Equipment To Be Maintained:
- Excavators, Loaders etc. and some trailer repairs.
- Liebherr 924 Material Handlers with grapple and magnet attachments
- Sennebogen 825 Material Handlers with grapple and magnet attachments
- Fuchs 340 Material Handler with magnet
- Hyundai 760 loader with bucket and fork quick attach
- John Deere 544K loader with bucket attachment
- Hitachi 240/250 excavator with Shear attachment
- Container chassis
- Ottawa shunt trucks.
- Heavy Duty Mechanic with Tickets
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working on Excavators and Loaders
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Skilled in the operation of a variety of tools and equipment used in the repair of heavy equipment
- Capable of preparing and maintaining accurate records and reports.
- Ability to analyze and repair mechanical failures.
Physical Requirements/ Work Conditions
- Lifting, pulling, climbing, standing, sitting, lying down, squatting and kneeling and managing equipment and tools.
- Must work outside in all different weather conditions, including cold and heat. Work is performed in scrap metal yard.
Please note that the location is not accessible via public transportation. The successful candidate will require their own reliable transportation.
Hours of Work: Regular hours are Monday to Friday, 7am to 5pm; Saturday 7am-12pm. Not limited to these hours.
Rate of Pay: We are committed to ensuring our pay is competitive. looking forward to hearing about your credentials.
Moving Costs: We will be willing to assist with the cost of moving once hired. If you’re looking for more information on what life is like in Halifax, feel free to reach out to us or you can also check out this website: https://www.relocatecanada.com/halifax/index.html
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Mechanic: 5 years (Preferred)