Commercial Real Estate & Lending Paralegal
Parlee McLaws LLP is a well-established, mid-size, Alberta law firm with over 135 years of experience. We are looking for an experienced Commercial Lending Paralegal to join our team. This role can be located in either our Edmonton or Calgary office.
The schedule for this position is Monday to Friday, 8:00AM – 4:30PM (37.5hours/week) working with members of our team in our Edmonton and Calgary offices. While the preference is for this position to be in-office, there is some flexibility to work remotely.
The successful candidate is a self-starter with a minimum of six (6) years' commercial real estate and lending experience with the ability to work with a variety of files and take them to the next level independently, or in collaboration with lawyers on complex milestones. You will demonstrate elevated efficiency and accuracy while meeting deadlines and providing outstanding customer service for both internal and external clients.
If you pride yourself on being organized with keen attention to detail, excellent communication, and the ability to learn quickly, you could be joining our team.
You would deliver on:
- Managing transactions including sales, purchases, refinances, and closings
- Executing Land Title Office and Personal Property Registry registrations and filings
- Conducting due diligence searches including title, survey, and financing
- Preparing relative documents, often needing complex editing and formatting for correspondence and documents
- Maintaining an efficient file system (physical and electronic files) using strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Following instructions with minimum supervision and be able to thrive in a fast-paced, professional team environment
- Deliver exceptional service to internal and external clients
- Preparation of accounts and time entry
- General administrative tasks including office and file management
- Other tasks as required
- Six (6) or more years of previous experience as a paralegal in residential real estate, commercial real estate, and commercial lending
- Post-secondary education from a recognized Legal Assistant/Paralegal program
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills accompanied by professional demeanour and conduct
- Understanding of basic accounting principles accompanied by problem solving with a proactive mindset
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and ability to work with document and file management software (Worldox, 3E Elite experience are assets)
- Exhibit consistent attention to detail and is committed to producing accurate and high-quality work
- Ability to organize, prioritize work and meet deadlines with a high degree of personal initiative
- Handling of confidential information in an ethical and professional manner
- Readily adapt to changing priorities and effectively work in a changing and high-volume work environment
- Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing in English
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including health & dental, health care spending account, pension matching, and paid time off in addition to annual vacation. Our building has an on-site gym as well as other perks. At Parlee you can "dress for your day" as appropriate to daily activities.
Sound like a good fit? We look forward to hearing from you! Please send your cover letter and resume in PDF form, via email to the attention of either [email protected] [email protected].
Your application will be confidential.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Work from home
We continue to take precautions to protect the health and safety of our employees, our clients, their families, and the general public at large with regard to COVID-19, as well as other air-borne viruses.
- Do you have experience working with lawyers located in another city?
- Secondary School (required)
- Commercial Lending: 5 years (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Edmonton, AB T5J 0T6
Application deadline: 2023-09-27
Expected start date: 2023-10-05