STEM Montessori Academy of Canada (SMAC) is pleased to offer extended March Break camps for the province-wide closure of schools due to the outbreak crisis. This provides Ontario parents with a safe and healthy conscious-environment for child-care option.
We are seeking volunteers to work alongside our camp counselor staff during 2020 March Break (March 16-20) AND/OR March Break Extension (March 23 – April 3) to participate and volunteer!
Are you a retiree, high school student or post-secondary placement student requiring placement or volunteer hours to graduate? We have a volunteer camp counselor opportunity for March Break period.
Minimum age requirement: 16 years of age.
Volunteer Hours: 7 am - 2 pm or 8 - 3 pm or 9 am – 4 pm
Location: Toronto, ON as well as other Ontario camp locations
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The camp program volunteer will function as a volunteer team member assisting to provide responsible, safe, quality care and service students ages 4-14. Ability to assist our counselors in conduct activities in any of the following areas:
· Physical Education
· Be creative and innovative in the time spent with the children, by helping our staff with planning and executing activities.
· Be self-motivating and enthusiastic in carrying out the duties, fostering self-esteem, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
· Help to ensure the atmosphere is inclusive, welcoming and safe for all children.
· Provide positive role-modeling for child participants and other volunteers to the program, be polite and helpful at all times, smiling and greeting both parents and children as they come and go.
· Attend all volunteer meetings and training seminars as deemed necessary, be familiar with and adhere to the Policies and Procedures
· Be able to help to prepare meals or snacks as required
· Greet school buses and quickly organize children as required.
· Maintain a healthy and hygienic environment, carry out housekeeping duties as required
· Be accepting of all children without regard to race, creed, religion, socio-economic status,
· Develop and maintain open communication with parents, staff, volunteers and school staff.
Requirements: ** Vulnerable Sector police clearance check – A MUST if over the age of 18
- MUST be dependable and organized – A MUST
- Exhibit personal suitability and flexibility
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
COMPENSATION: This is an UNPAID volunteer position. We are happy to provide the following:
· volunteer hours certificate
· job reference letter
· placement sign-off
The STEM Montessori Academy of Canada (SMAC) is a registered not for profit regional science
technology engineering and math (STEM) program open to all students with the mission to deliver top-notch STEM literacy and application. The STEM program will educate students from preschool to high school. The SMAC will specialize in an advanced, bar-none STEM-based educational curriculum that emphasizes the interconnected subject areas of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
We are strongly committed to equity and diversity within the community. We welcome and encourage applications from all religious backgrounds, persons of color, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, and others who can contribute to the diversification of our community. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and a cover letter. We thank you for your interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary, Volunteer