At Homesense, we’re helping people let their personality shine in their home. We’re out to bring high-quality and unique pieces to stores throughout the country. Like our stores, our work environment is ever-evolving—and always encouraging. Every shift is a new opportunity to Discover Different.
013 || 1840 The Queensway || Etobicoke || ON || M9C 5H5
TJX Canada Store Full Time and Part Time Associate Roles and Responsibilities
Welcome to the TJX Canada team, you will soon discover that TJX Canada is a great place to work! Below are the TJX Canada Roles and Responsibilities to be reviewed at time of hire and/or as a reference guide when required. Partner with your Store Management team if you have any questions.
Cultivating and protecting our strong Company culture has been a key driver in the success of TJX CANADA. Our Company values have been an important part of how TJX CANADA operates. These values describe how we work together to achieve our Company purpose. They provide guidelines on how we interact day to day and answer the question, “What do we want to be known for?”
- Act with integrity and ethics. Model Company values and be willing to take a stand.
- Delivers expected results by being committed to achieving and surpassing your goals and objectives
- Respect the importance of work life balance. Care about Customers, Associates, business partners, company and community.
- Embrace, recognize, respect and celebrate the value of individual differences. All Associates, Customers and vendors are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of race, religion, nationality, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age or disability.
- Willingly listen to and share thoughts, information and ideas openly.
- Collaborate and partner with others to achieve common goals. Have fun!
- Take ownership through appropriate risk taking and decision making to create excitement, deliver results and satisfy the Customer.
- Know, understand and satisfy your Customer, REACH: Remember Everyone Affects Customer Happiness. LAST: Listen, Apologize, Solve, Thank.
Customer Satisfaction / Joy Project
Retaining customer loyalty is important. By considering what the customer experience is, and being aware of their opinions, you can enhance the level of service provided. Customer Satisfaction is one of the main ways to retain loyal customers and win over infrequent/new customers.
- Greet customers in a friendly manner 10 foot / 10 second rule (when performing tasks be aware of customers in area).
- Be knowledgeable to answer questions regarding merchandise items, prices and brands and provide information on promotions.
- Answer questions surrounding TJX Canada policies and procedures, events and store locations.
- Resolve customer service issues or escalate and inform the AM of Customer Service / Operations or AM of Customer Service of any customer concerns, feedback or compliant.
- Ensure shopping carts and baskets are clean and collected into designated areas.
- The JOY Project is a program created to invigorate, strengthen and support all the integral parts of our culture at TJX Canada.
o Sustain Customer Engagement standards Motivate and encourage fellow Associates to meaningfully interact and serve Customers
o Create happy Customer experiences by contributing to a positive work environment.
Health and Safety
Health and Safety in the workplace applies to everyone at TJX Canada. An Internal Responsibility System makes all parties in the workplace jointly responsible and equally involved to act on all Health and Safety matters for all Associates and Customers.
Loss Prevention is everyone’s responsibility. By greeting our customers within 10 ft. and 10 second, ensuring all items have a correct price ticket and are sold at the right price, being operationally excellent and minimizing damages to our product, we will minimize the opportunity for shrink. Get involved by learning more and doing more with the help of the SHRINKSMART program.
TJX has a company-wide, high-priority Information Management Program designed to protect Personal and Business Information and the systems and equipment that store and process it and to prevent unauthorized access to and misuse of Personal and Business Information. Remember to be attentive in your daily work activities:
- Collect, use, share, and store the minimum amount of personal information only as is necessary to do your job.
- Do not use or refer to Personal Information outside of work.
Door to Floor is a fast-paced method designed to help Stores completely receive, process and stock all merchandise on the sales floor within the established time standards.
- Participate in receiving, processing and merchandising tasks to ensure all goods are placed on the sales floor by the daily target as communicated by the Manager or Merchandise Processing Coordinator.
- Reference Receiving and Processing Matrix.
- Maintain merchandise presentation standards.
- Place overstock in the designated (signed) backstock area of the Backroom.
- Re-merchandise and/or fill in with backstock as necessary.
- Identify, communicate and correct bottlenecks and safety issues in the Backroom.
- Ensure WorkSmart Principles and Damage Reduction Program principles are used.
- Adhere to all TJXC Health and Safety requirements.
- Maintain the backroom organization and set-up.
- Follow all backroom waste and recycling policies and procedures.
- Ensure procedures are strictly followed.
- Balance registers and verifies cash funds in safe using current procedures.
- Validate proper completion of media.
- Complete Store Deposit worksheet following all current procedures.
- Research cash discrepancies and document appropriately.
- Complete the Daily Register Activity Log.
- Complete daily and weekly Store Deposit and coin order.
- Be present while a member of Management verifies the deposit and completes the deposit declaration.
Fitting Room/Dressing Room
The Fitting Room presents an opportunity to ensure our customers’ shopping experiences are positive and keeps them coming back.
- Associate must be friendly and courteous to customers at all times.
- Associate must engage the customers when they enter and exit Fitting Rooms.
- Ensure counter area is clean, organized and has the proper supplies in place.
- During Fitting Room shift change validate Fitting Rooms are free of hangers and debris.
- The Fitting Room signs must be clearly posted in the appropriate location.
- Complete light processing (that does not require sensormatic tags) during non-peak times.
- Ensure backup Associates are called when required to assist with customer line ups.
- Ensure all recovered items are IBI compliant prior to being moved to the Sales Floor.
Retaining Customer loyalty is imperative. By considering what the customer experience is, and being aware of their opinions, you can enhance the level of service provided. The frontline is the last place our customers go prior to leaving the store, ensuring they experience Customer Satisfaction is one of the main ways to retain loyal customers and win over infrequent/new customers.
- Smile and use the 10 foot 10 second rule.
- Ensure you are using “call forwarding”.
- Ensure there are shopping baskets and carts available.
- Assist in answering customer inquiries.
- Ensure purchases and returns are handled in a friendly efficient manner.
- Ensure mis-mates/damages are kept in an organized manner and completed daily, following WMI policies.
- “Holds” and “Paid Hold” Policy are followed.
- Ensure returned merchandise is processed according to tagging and coding guidelines and returned to the sales floor throughout the day.
- Cash desks are kept clean, free of clutter and stocked only with necessary supplies.
Markdowns are a process that takes place in stores on a daily basis. Markdowns are taken in order to expedite the selling of merchandise in our stores.
- Have all equipment and supplies set up and within easy reach before starting.
- Prior to beginning the markdown cycle perform a printer test on each markdown machine.
- Complete the markdown TEAM execution process using the Worksmart principles and current procedures following the prioritization schedule.
- Maintain cleanliness of markdown equipment.
- When markdown equipment is not is use recharge batteries.
- Communicate markdown status with Management before leaving.
- Ensure merchandise presentation standards are followed.
- Winners and Marshalls – Footwear markdowns to be completed by the Zone Footwear Specialist.
The Jewellery counter is another opportunity to have one-on-one time with our Customers in an effort to make a lasting, positive impression; while offering courteous and knowledgeable service.
- Serve only one Customer at a time. Only two pieces of Jewellery can be shown to a Customer at a time. Acknowledge any waiting Customer and call another Associate for assistance when required for additional Customer support.
- Support surrounding departments with merchandising and recovery while maintaining the 10 foot/10 second rule in order to maintain customer service and asset protection in the Jewellery Department.
- Ensure showcases are clean and free of debris and dust.
- When not serving customers and at closing clean on top of and under the Jewellery counter.
- Floors inside the showcase must be swept daily.
- Jewellery supplies must be stocked neatly in reach but out of site of the Customer.
- Ensure Jewellery receiving and processing guidelines are followed.
- Ensure Merchandise Presentation standards are followed.
We strive to create excitement for our Customers by offering fresh new features new and well organized merchandise every day!
- Gather the required supplies to perform IBI within the assigned department.
- Utilize the Parent Checklist and Merchandise Presentation/IBI Manual, to support checking each item in the department for a ticket, correct location in flow and regular vs clearance placement.
- Merchandise which meets the ticking, sticker requirement, tagging and coding guideline can be immediately validated or moved to the correct position in the flow.
- When an item requires a Sensor, Size/Commodity resource, Price Sticker or Damage prevention resource; action and correct the standard immediately while the merchandise is in hand.
- Assist in making sure features are full, frontline Q-Lines are stocked and merchandise is flowing from the backroom in a timely manner when scheduled in these areas.
- Smile and use the 10 foot 10 second rule
- Actively participate in driving your own development.
- Communicate to Management Team any areas of interest for cross training or development.
We embrace the unknown at Homesense—and support each other along the way. Every day is a new adventure, a fresh chance to reinvent retail. Our inventory is always changing and our approach is continually evolving, which means every day is another chance to Discover
Different. In fact, that’s what it’s like throughout the entire TJX family, which includes TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, and Sierra.
Discover Different also means we embrace each other’s differences and unique perspectives. We consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status. We also provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.
013 || 1840 The Queensway || Etobicoke || ON || M9C 5H5