The Treasury Board Secretariat is seeking experienced Application Systems Testers with a proven track record of building and testing high-quality applications. Join a highly skilled team of developers, quality assurance testers, and communication professionals to lead the delivery of a stable, secure, scalable enterprise intranet for over 60,000 Ontario Public Service (OPS) employees and related digital products.
These positions are located at 222 Jarvis Street, Toronto; however, alternate work arrangements, including flexible hours, telework (remote work), and a compressed work week, may be available. Furthermore, Oshawa may be considered as an alternate location for part of the work week, based on operational requirements and upon the successful applicant's request as per the Central Agencies Cluster's flex program.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As an Application Systems Tester, you will:
- Create and execute test cases, and report and track defects.
- Lead the planning and implementation of the Integration and Regression Phase of the systems development lifecycle for the testing of all changes to the enterprise and corporate applications systems.
- Design test automation techniques, and identify and resolve defects in test automation setup.
- Provide technical and business expertise and advice on all aspects of application testing to operations staff, business analysts, system designers and developers.
How do I qualify?
Knowledge and Technical Skills:
Analytical, Research and Problem-Solving Skills:
- You have implemented BDD (behaviour driven development) code in SpecFlow, Selenium and C# programming language.
- You have experience with Azure DevOps boards, repos, and CI/CD pipelines to deploy/execute automation test-scripts.
- You have knowledge of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and end-to-end digital accessibility testing.
- You have the ability to develop, execute, and maintain the functional and regression testing scripts and development.
- You have experience in any of the Scripting languages like PHP/Python/Java and others.
- You have experience with various testing tools such as JAWS, Compliance Sheriff, WAVE, NVDA, Colour Contrast Analyzer, and others.
- You have the ability to assess the severity and risk of defects, distinguish between false positives, offer remediation advice and propose solutions.
- You have knowledge of application development methodologies, techniques and methods; structured analysis and design methodology, the systems development cycle and data modelling techniques; structured testing tools and methodology, and test automation techniques to plan and project lead the planning and implementation of testing in support of the systems development lifecycle.
- You have knowledge of current and emerging technology and industry standards and trends, specifically as they relate to relational databases and three-tier architecture, and operating systems, databases, network protocols, and data transformation, to lead and conduct the research and analysis of innovative opportunities and lead the installation, and configuration of operating systems, and software, and provision of troubleshooting.
- You have knowledge of quality assurance activities with various software development methodologies such as waterfall and agile.
- You have experience with Agile tools such as JIRA and Confluence, and knowledge of DevOps QA practices.
- You have experience with CI/CD pipelines such as Drone CI, Jenkins and Bamboo, and experience with version control and associated software – Git, GitHub, SourceTree or similar tools.
- You have experience/understanding in testing APIs and web service technologies (i.e., REST, SOAP).
- You can identify, define and design all test scripts and test cases, and determine technical requirements for the planning and implementation of testing projects.
- You can assess testing outcomes, and identify and resolve defects in the test automation setup.
- You can research and analyze innovative opportunities, applications and process improvements related to the testing of human resources information systems.
Project Management Knowledge and Skills:
- You can provide specialized technical expertise and business advice on all aspects of application testing to operations staff, business analysts, system designers and developers.
- You can plan and lead external service providers responsible for conducting testing projects.
- You can present complex test results / findings to project owners (e.g. business leads, systems analysts).
- You can develop technical methods, practices, techniques and tools for use in systems testing.
- You can document and report complex findings from testing projects.
- You have knowledge of project management methodology and techniques to plan and lead multiple testing projects and to prepare project plans, determine technical requirements and monitor activities.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
$1,391.47 - $1,778.38 Per Week
3 Permanent, 222 Jarvis St, Toronto, Toronto Region or 33 King St W, Oshawa, Central Region
The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, by Thursday, May 26, 2022, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers, and entering Job ID 181058 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario's Human Rights Code.