Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY:
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Workplace Health and Safety department.
Reporting to the Manager, you will be responsible for providing excellent care to a diverse patient population. You will be part of a busy department, with complex and very active medical and nephrology patients. You will be part of a team whose focus is providing care to patients who have multiple co-morbidities accompanied with their original admitting diagnosis. There is a staffing mix of both RN’s and RPN’s with a delivery care model of Team Nursing. You will rotate through Hemodialysis Units (CP2 and 2 Central) and Satellites as necessary. You may be scheduled at the General or Birchmount campus based on departmental needs.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS
- Nephrology 1 and 2 courses completed from a recognized nephrology nursing certificate program or equivalent combination of education, training and experience (Successful applicants not completed the Nephrology course will be expected to enroll within one year)
- Minimum of one year of hemodialysis experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Patient Assessment and Health Promotion/Teaching skills
- Must be willing to work with mixed aggregation of patients
- Excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues and volunteers and other members of the community and public
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Excellent work performance and attendance
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area.
- Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
- Nephrology Certificate Program completed
- Certification in Nephrology Nursing through the Canadian Nurses Association
- Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following us on Twitter at: SHNCareers