Iron Dog, an Atlantic Canadian success story, has been delivering top-notch mechanical system services to clients since its inception in 1971. Over the years, Iron Dog has built a reputation for its service professionals' unwavering reliability, commitment to superior service, and exceptional craftsmanship. What initially started as a company focused on servicing residential oil burners and boilers has since evolved into a comprehensive mechanical contracting firm. Iron Dog now boasts extensive expertise in gas systems, plumbing, and air conditioning. Serving customers throughout the Maritime Provinces, Iron Dog continues to be a trusted and sought-after partner for all mechanical system needs.
Reporting to the President, the Vice President of Finance will play a pivotal role in the leadership and strategic direction of the dynamic organization. As a key part of the leadership team and trusted business partner and advisor to the president, the Vice President of Finance will work collaboratively to drive financial and operational performance while promoting a culture that reflects the organization’s values and encourages respect, accountability, and high performance. The primary responsibilities will encompass leading and managing a growing accounting team while taking a hands-on approach in overseeing traditional accounting functions, financial operations, and business processes.
- Prepare and review financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements.
- Ensure the accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of financial reporting in compliance with relevant accounting standards and regulations.
- Analyze financial data to identify trends, patterns, and discrepancies, and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Manage and oversee all accounting and financial functions of the company, including accounts payable, general ledger, and financial reporting.
- Ensure timely and accurate month-end closing processes, including reconciliations, accruals, and financial statement preparation.
- Maintain and improve effective internal controls to safeguard the company’s assets, prevent fraud, and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Manage cash flow, forecasting, and budgeting processes, including variance analysis, and reporting to senior management.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new financial systems, policies, and procedures to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- Collaborate with other departments, such as operations and sales, to provide financial analysis and support for business decisions.
- Prepare and present financial reports and analyses to senior management and the Board of Directors.
- Provide leadership and guidance to a small team of accounting professionals, including hiring, training, and performance management.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with external auditors, banks, and other stakeholders.
- Serve as the key accounting point of contact for the ERP system and collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial data within the ERP system.
- Continuously monitor the system performance, identify issues or inefficiencies, and propose and implement enhancements as needed.
As the ideal candidate, you possess a CPA designation along with 10+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent education and experience. The successful candidate will possess a unique ability to balance both strategic oversight and detailed financial analysis. The ability to effectively resolve granular financial issues, while also being capable of overseeing the broader strategic landscape and align financial strategies with organizational goals is crucial. Proficiency in change management within the context of expanding organizations, and the ability to serve as a robust accounting leader capable of facilitating seamless integration and change processes is paramount.
A significant emphasis will be placed on a collaborative and team-oriented mindset, as the candidate is expected to demonstrate enthusiasm for mentoring and leading colleagues to foster a cooperative work environment. Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills along with a proven history of outstanding performance, effective management, and leadership is essential. This underscores the candidate's capacity to communicate complex financial information effectively and drive tangible results. Experience in championing ERP initiatives such as implementations or upgrades, as well as a minimum of five years’ experience leading/managing small growing finance and accounting teams is considered an asset.
Venor and Iron Dog embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. We encourage applications from Indigenous- Mi’kmaw, African Nova Scotians, African Canadians, and People of Colour (BIPOC), as well as newcomers to Canada, individuals with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQ community. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including varied materials or otherwise).
This is an exciting opportunity to assume a pivotal role in the ongoing success and growth of a company that places a strong emphasis on craftsmanship, adaptability, and a genuine passion for embracing positive change. Iron Dog brings a dynamic and analytical approach to each project, ensuring excellence in their work.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Dartmouth, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person