To support Whissell’s vision, mission, and S.P.I.R.I.T. of values, and recognize that the General Manager has a direct impact on the company’s overall financial success. To oversee the operations of the construction, estimating and project management to ensure each are is meeting the goals to achieve targeted growth and profit goals.This position has oversight over Estimating, Project Management and Operations.
- Oversee and supervise the activities of the construction operations departments;
- Attend tender review meeting to review scope, productions, construction approach, competitive landscape;
- Attend pre-construction meeting(s) to review project specs, tender and establish construction approach, ensuring the specific needs of the customer are met;
- Review construction methods, scheduling and resource allocation with General Superintendent to ensure on time and on budget completion;
- Review repair schedule and budgets;
- Target new strategic business development opportunities in an effort to diversify and expand operations and profitability;
- Mentor direct reports to ensure they develop skill sets to perform their current and successive roles successfully
- Build and maintain relationships with existing customers and new customers to foster company growth
- Ensure the company safety program is effective and being followed by all concerned, conduct regular site inspections to monitor safety compliance and implement change
- Review all incident investigations and implement changes to prevent reoccurrence
- Comply with Whissell and local Occupational Health and Safety regulations
- Monitor employee compliance with OHS rules and standards
- Maintain and foster a clean and organized work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent management, leadership and supervisory skills;
- Decisive, assertive, proactive, innovative, fast paced
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 15 years of construction experience in roles of increased responsibility in heavy civil construction industry
- Demonstrated experience in water and sewer utility construction
- Excellent computer skills including email, word and excel;
- Expert knowledge of construction procedures, equipment utilization, safety practices;
- Work is performed in an office and field environment
- Repetitive tasks such as typing, filing, reading on a computer
- Valid Class 5 provincial driver’s license is required
- Travel between job site locations is required (30%)
- Ability to lift 10lbs is required
PLEASE NOTE: All Whissell employees are required to pass a Pre-Employment Drug & Alcohol Test and provide a valid Driver’s Abstract (no more than three months old) prior to starting work.
Overtime may be required during peak construction months.
To apply, email your resume, visit our website www.whissell.ca or fax to 403.236.8834, Attn: Human Resources.
Whissell Contracting Ltd. would like to thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only
applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
No agencies please.
Job Type: Full-time