The responsibility of a sales associate is to provide prompt courteous and efficient service to customers, advising them on appropriate merchandise and related items; processing transactions using retail software; ticketing and replenishing merchandise, cycle counting; general housekeeping of shelves, loss prevention, merchandising, restocking and staying current with trends in the industry.
- Ensure customers are greeted when entering the store or your department.
- Determine customer’s needs by asking open-ended questions.
- Communicate product knowledge to the customer as appropriate.
- Assist customers in locating and comparing merchandise.
- Assist customers with finding all items needed to complete their project.
- Process special orders for non-stock or out of stock items.
- Record repeat customer requests for product and follow-up when product arrives at the store.
- Assist customers with carrying out of large or heavy items.
- Follow procedures and maintain standards according to store policy in the following areas: loss prevention, receiving and pricing goods, merchandise handling and presentation, housekeeping, reordering merchandise, restocking shelves and handling cash.
- Advise the designated manager of shortages, damaged goods, back-orders etc.
- Change prices on merchandise, bins, displays, etc. as necessary.
- Build special displays and signage for sales, promotions and other special events.
- Remove sales and promotional displays, prices etc. and rearrange stock following promotional events.
- Always take appropriate safety precautions when cutting pipe, glass, wire mesh, making keys etc., and make an effort to minimize waste.
- Help unload incoming trucks.
- Check incoming merchandise against invoices to spot shortages, damaged goods, back-orders, etc.
- Keep stock in storage area neat, clean, and orderly.
- Participate in regular cycle counting, and assist in taking annual inventory counts.
- Reorder merchandise according to stores buying procedures.
- Attend store meetings, training sessions, etc. as required.
- Work on special projects as assigned by department manager.
- Work on additional duties and assignments as assigned by management.
- Work in a safe manner in accordance to provincial and federal safety legislation, as well as use of good common sense. Report any potential hazards and unsafe behavior to management in order to have the situation corrected.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Friendly and helpful attitude toward customers.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to learn
- Creative abilities for making attractive in-store displays.
- Willingness to continually develop professional skills and knowledge base.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team atmosphere.
- Report directly to the department manager or general manager.
Job Type: Part-time
- retail: 1 year (Preferred)