SAIT is a global leader in applied education and an institution that empowers employees to make a difference in the lives of our students. Building on more than a century of history, we are looking for innovative employees wanting to create a future with us. As part of our team, you are encouraged to be bold and inventive, bringing new ideas to the table. Change excites you.
SAIT offers the chance to do work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers. We develop leaders in the classroom and our workspaces, encouraging lifelong learning for both students and employees.
Your future starts now … at SAIT.
We are looking for individuals who align with our commitment to excellence and who demonstrates:
o a growth mindset through curiosity, creativity, and collaboration
o leads with a world-class customer experience mindset
o is dynamic and responsible to the needs of stakeholders, speed and agility are critical
o someone who embraces trial and error as an important part of learning
SAIT's School of Hospitality and Tourism is consistently recognized as one of the best hospitality schools in the world. We are proud to be the only institution in Canada to hold a Top 50 hospitality school ranking with both CEOWORLD Magazine and QS University Rankings.
Our prestigious reputation has been built on our progressive curriculum, strong relationships with industry and our unparalleled approach to applied education.
Please note: All successful candidates will be required to comply with all SAIT health and safety policies, as amended from time to time, including those relating to the mitigation of Covid-19 related risks. All applicants who accept an offer of employment will be required to provide confirmation of full vaccination status of COVID-19.* Applicants who are not vaccinated based on a protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act, such as a medical reason, will be reasonably accommodated and subject to workplace risk mitigation measures.
You will help champion the success of this diverse portfolio of venues. As an experienced hospitality professional, you will provide support and leadership in two key areas:
Events: you are the champion of our events portfolio, creating and planning experiences, managing clients and executing events. This is a portfolio with significant growth opportunity and you will be instrumental in seizing this opportunity.
Operations: recruitment; training; scheduling; performance management; floor management; financial management; guest and student experience; etc.
In addition to the above, and in the spirit of our unifying school mission to prepare students for successful careers and lives, you will collaborate with faculty to support student experiences that unleash applied, real-world learning.
Please note, this is a temporary permanent position that runs from 02/01/22 to 02/01/24*
- Oversee all aspects of event activity within the school.
- Champion our portfolio of custom-delivered events, such as Culinary Camps, corporate culinary experiences, theme nights and Summer Camps
- Create and build out the corporate and social event business, targeting wedding and corporate holiday/social markets
- Collaborate with culinary team members to create exceptional food experiences
- Work with the Communications and Digital Content Creator to develop key marketing materials and event packages to attract business
- Work directly with clients to understand desired experiences, organize site tours, negotiate contracts, identify event details, and act as the key client liaison from conception to execution
- Lead event execution, including managing operational delivery
- Coordinate with other SAIT stakeholders to arrange food and beverage, décor, supplies, A/V equipment, signage, room setup and teardown
- Ensure exemplary guest service
- Invoice clients for deposit, additional insurances and final event costs
- Track event financials and reporting
- Collaborate with key SAIT stakeholders within the school and across the institution (i.e. Commercial Services; Finance; Corporate Training; Marketing and Communications; etc.)
- Build relationships with new clients and foster relationships with existing clients
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety obligations
- Under the guidance of the General Manager, and in collaboration with and support of our operations supervisory team, help champion the effective, efficient and guest-focused operations of our venues
- Support with staff leadership (i.e. servers; cooks; cashiers; stewards): recruit, train, schedule, performance manage, and administer payroll for a team of ~50 front and back of house staff
- Supervise daily operations of venues as needed
- Work days, evenings and weekends as required
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness and sanitation standards
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years professional experience directly related to food and beverage operations (10 yrs preferred)
- An equivalent of education and experience may be considered
- Certifications in Foodsafe & ProServe
- Excellent organizational and time management
- Passionate about guest experience
- Strong knowledge of event setups
- Problem solving skills
- Experience in leadership/coaching/performance management
- Creative, strategic thinker with sound judgement
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and project management skills
- Must be able to effectively manage competing priorities and work well under tight deadlines
- Motivated self-starter who takes initiative and performs well with minimal supervision
- A doer who gets excited by new ideas and challenges
- Team focused
- Diploma or degree in Hospitality Management
- Prior experience in event management
- Proficient in Outlook, MS Office, Micros POS
# of positions: 1
Posting closing date: until suitable candidate is found
SAIT believes excellence is achieved through equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) because EDI creates the conditions for a healthy campus where everyone feels welcome, respected and empowered to succeed. SAIT values fairness, shared accountability and the importance of representation. The institution expects a commitment from its students and employees to continuously develop an equitable and inclusive mindset that celebrates diverse experiences and perspectives. SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or comments related to EDI at SAIT.
Please apply using Chrome, as applications are only supported using Chrome on desktop. To continue with the online application process click on the Apply For This Job button or use your LinkedIn profile. All applications should be made through our online system. By using this system to apply for this position, you agree that your candidacy will be visible to all hiring managers at SAIT. If you have concerns about this, please contact email@example.com. Please do not apply to this email address — all applications should be made through our online system.
BEWARE FALSE POSTINGS AND RECRUITING OFFERS
The Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) has been made aware of individuals or organizations posing as SAIT using false SAIT postings to attract job seekers and collect personal information.
Please be aware that SAIT will never request information beyond what is required for a resume. SAIT will never ask for sensitive personal information such as birthdates, banking, social insurance or health care account information for our application process.
Career opportunities at SAIT will always be posted on the SAIT career site. If you are uncertain about the validity of a posting or offer, please forward the suspicious posting to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Types: Temporary, Permanent