Waypoints is a registered, non-profit charity that has been operating in Fort McMurray since 1982. Waypoints offers facilities, programs and services for people that have experienced, or are experiencing domestic violence and/or abuse, or sexual assault and/or abuse. Waypoints’ also provides the community with public awareness events, initiatives and educational programs to increase the prevention of violence and abuse in the Wood Buffalo Region. Waypoints operates Unity House, an Emergency Women and Children's Shelter, the Opportunities for Change Centre, The Sexual Assault and Abuse Healing Centre, and The Compass, home of our Second Stage Shelter for women and children in need of transitional housing, as well as affordable housing.
Reports To: Shelter Supervisor
Terms and Employment
- Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
- Ability to flex schedule and attend after hours meetings required
- $19.78 per Hour plus $6.40 per hour COLA (Cost of Living Allowance)
The employee in this job will perform and oversee a variety of janitorial, light maintenance, and/or security tasks in order to maintain a clean and safe environment within Unity House and the grounds. The position reports directly to the Shelter Manager. The employee performs a full range of janitorial and maintenance assignments using limited judgment. Duties are normally determined by specific instructions from their supervisor or by following well-defined procedures, methods, and practices, but not limited to the following:
- Cleans and services restrooms
- Sweep, vacuum, and mop floors and stairways
- Dust blinds, furniture, file cabinets and desks
- Empty all trash cans and replace liners, clean receptacles as necessary
- Cleaning windowsills and windows / glass
- General lawn care of grounds, litter pick up, planting flowers, and weeding. Occasionally may be required to do snow removal at the entrances only
- Replace light bulbs as necessary
- Other routine janitorial or minor maintenance duties as assigned
- Gather and dispose of all recyclable material
- Clean windowsills and windows / glass
- Clean and sanitize laundry machines
- Spot washing walls
- Loads and unloads supplies, and assists with moving of moving heavy furniture and equipment using dollies or hand carts
- Locks and unlocks doors as required or requested.
- Maintains an inventory of cleaning and toiletry supplies
- Works with Second Stage Shelter on cleaning out vacant units
- Determines appropriate cleaning materials, supplies, tools and equipment needed to accomplish the job.
- Make recommendations for repair and improvements to buildings, grounds and equipment.
- Observes appearances and conditions of premises and equipment; report needed repairs, safety hazards, or condition requiring outside vendor services.
Personal protective equipment, referred to as "PPE", is equipment that must be worn to minimize exposure to serious workplace injuries and illnesses.
The work may at times be performed in the presence of a wide variety of people with differing functions, personalise and abilities. Quality customer service must be provided at all times.
The work requires routine walking, standing, bending and carrying items weighing less than fifty pounds.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of this job description at any time without prior notice.
- Grade 12 Diploma
- Clean Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Check
- Experience cleaning in either commercial, multi residential or institutional environment.
- Experience using and maintaining mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of janitorial supplies, their use, as well as handling and storage.
- Knowledge of workplace health and safety.
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment.
- Knowledge of safe lifting techniques and practices.
Deal with multiple priorities
Communicate effectively orally
Communicate effectively in writing
Effective interpersonal relationships
Client Service Orientation
How to apply:
Please send your CV and Cover Letter
Applications will be considered until a suitable candidate is found.
Job Type: Full-time
- janitorial: 1 year (Preferred)