Nature is full of surprises, but your future doesn’t have to be.
Forecast a fulfilling career with us!
The Climate Change & Sustainability Editor, will oversee all of The Weather Network’s (TWN) coverage of climate change for both written and video content, including coordinating coverage with MeteoMedia and El Tiempo. Reporting directly to the Managing Editor, this role requires a deep knowledge of the current trends and research around climate change and sustainability, and should have a well-established network of contacts within this field. This role also requires premium editorial judgment along with unwavering skills as a journalist to unearth, assign, deliver, and monitor relevant stories in this key pillar of our editorial coverage for a best in class audience experience.
A day in the life of a Climate Change & Sustainability Editor:
This is what YOU have:
- Establish TWN’s voice in the climate change and sustainability conversation in a way that aligns with our overall editorial objectives
- Provide premium news judgment to drive top climate and sustainability stories being pitched, written, and delivered
- Lead editorial meetings to plan end execute climate and sustainability content alongside the Associate Digital Video Specialist
- Utilize a deep knowledge of climate change and the environment to guide editorial direction
- Write headlines, choose photos/videos and package content
- Work with product teams to conceptualize and launch new features
- Work with the Associate Editor and Associate Digital Video Specialist to track online content performance and data analytics
- Utilize SEO best practices to prioritize quality content
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Multimedia or Journalism, or 3-5 years of related experience
- Background in Climatology preferred
- A passion for storytelling — you will assign and write stories and cultivate a stable of talented, experienced writers and video content creators
- Experience with digital production in a publishing or media environment.
- Knowledge in broadcast production is an asset
- Knowledge of effective online content distribution methods, including content sharing and link distribution, and social networking tools
- Deep knowledge of media landscape around climate change and sustainability coverage
- Working knowledge of Content Management Systems is an asset
- Knowledge of analytics is an asset
- A solid understanding of the basic principles of packaging, editing, and writing
- Basic HTML and Photoshop skills and experience with online publishing tools
- Experience managing projects and delivering amazing results
- A thorough understanding of editorial best practices and priorities, and knowledge of the CP Stylebook
But what really makes you stand out is…
- You love what you do and have a passion for sharing knowledge!
- Exceptional writing and editing skills for a range of platforms
- Must be a creative thinker and innovator with tons of ideas for new content
- Ability to work independently within tight deadlines
- Should have a forward-thinking approach to the changing style of digital content and consumption
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple tasks and/or projects at once and possess the ability to keep up with changing task prioritization without sacrificing quality
- You like to have FUN at work!
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Agencies, we ask that you please not solicit.
Please note that part of our recruitment and selection process includes references and background checks. Our background checks include criminal, education, and employment checks.
Pelmorex Corp is committed to equity in the workplace.
What are we about? We’re the #1 weather company in Canada. We’re about providing current, accurate and detailed weather information. Our website is in the top 5 news sites in Canada and our weather app is the most popular weather app in Canada!
Why join us? Our founder, Pierre Morrissette, has built a culture where you feel like you’re a part of an extended family. People are friendly. People are accessible. People truly care about each other. Together we’re focused on the future and becoming the international leaders in weather information.
Just a few reasons to join our amazing team include competitive salary and benefits, a casual work environment and summer hours. We offer endless tea and fresh coffee, a busy social calendar of events and proximity to great amenities. We have plenty of free parking and are a few-minutes’ walk to the nearest bus stop.
Do you have what it takes? We’re looking for people who live and breathe our core values; people who have the WOW factor! Who handle themselves with HONESTY & INTEGRITY and through TEAMWORK & COLLABORATION will INSPIRE INNOVATION & DRIVE CHANGE! People who are RESULTS ORIENTED, have a PASSION FOR EXCELLENCE & EXECUTION and through FOCUS & TENACITY challenge the status quo and think outside the box. We’re looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers who can ENGAGE PEOPLE with their RESPECT & WIN-WIN attitude. Most of all, we’re looking for people who are passionate about what they do and about the weather. Does this sound like you?