At Ontario Health, we are committed to developing a strong organizational culture that connects and inspires all team members across the province. Our vision is that together, we will be a leader in health and wellness for all. Our mission is to connect the health system to drive improved and equitable health outcomes, experiences and value. How we work together is reflected through our five values: integrity, inspiration, tenacity, humility and care.
What Ontario Health offers:
Achieving your career goals is a priority to us. Benefits of working at Ontario Health may include the following based on employment type:
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage from your first day
- Health care spending account
- Premium defined benefit pension plan
- 3 personal days and 2 float days annually
- Individual contributors start at 3 weeks’ vacation with 4 weeks at 2 yrs.
- Career development opportunities
- A collaborative values-based team culture
- A wellness programs
- A hybrid working model
- Participation in
Communities of Inclusion
Want to make a difference in your career? Consider this opportunity.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for the design, development (new and upgrades), and support of a range of applications at Ontario Health. The Software Engineer reviews and provides feedback on requirements, plays an active role in designing and selecting appropriate solutions, and develops high-quality code in collaboration with other software developers on the team.
The Software Engineer works within a cross-functional environment including team members such as Product Managers, Business Analysts, Quality Assurance Analysts, DevOps Engineers, and other Developers to help organize, prioritize, and execute various development activities, identify dependencies and risks and contribute to both long-term project and product development as well as shorter-term maintenance and support needs.
Here is what you will be doing:
- Creates the development plan in coordination with the Team Leader and Lead/Senior Developers.
- Works with business units to identify and gather requirements.
- Develops components of applications (new and existing) based on the identified business requirements and architectural specifications.
- Delivers the best user experiences possible and is jointly accountable for the quality of the products and services delivered for the customer.
- Mentors other developers through the code review process. Supports and guides the Software Development I in navigating the code base, assist with understanding the build and deploy
processes, and providing general software engineering guidance through informal mentorship.
- Identifies specific impacts to existing codes or entire applications.
- Assists in quality assurance testing and risk assessment.
- Develops control documentation and creates run books to support application release.
- Supports release deployment through Dev, QA, IT and Production.
- Maintains applications; answers queries and provides solutions/ technical support for any issues that arise.
- Enhances applications as required.
- Recommends changes across the team's engineering practices as well as external team practices to improve the team's cycle time.
- Actively engages in product team discussions and recommends product features and changes to product features to improve the user experience, operation, and maintainability of the
- Participates in development of engineering plans and systems specifications with Lead Engineers.
- Collaborates with internal peers to ensure alignment of practices, patterns, and solutions.
- Ensures work aligns to broader roadmaps and systems strategies.
- Stays abreast of evolving technology, architecture, and design, patterns, practices, and platforms.
- Occasionally has cross-portfolio and external stakeholder interactions.
- Makes decisions where results have substantial impact across the organization requiring sophisticated solutions and long-term correction.
Here is what you will need to be successful:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 3 – 5 years of relevant technical experience developing software solutions.
The successful applicant must have demonstrated experience with each of the following:
Agile development methodologies
- Supporting critical business applications in a production environment
- Developing web applications
- Developing in object-oriented programming languages such as Java, C#, VB.NET, etc.
- Working with version control systems such as Team Foundation Server, Subversion, and Git
- Entity Framework or other ORM technologies
- Code Profiling and Performance investigation and tuning
- Visual Studio 2019/2022, VS Code
- ASP.NET MVC, Web Forms, Razor
- ASP.net Core 2.0+
- WebAPI, WCF & Web Services
- Angular and React
- HTML5, XSD
- MS SQL (Stored Procedure, Functions, Link Server, Profiler, etc.)
- XML, JSON
- CSS, Bootstrap
- IIS Server
The following experience is considered an asset:
- Dundas BI
- MS Azure Development (Azure functions, APIM, CD-CI Pipeline, DevOps, Azure SQL, Key vault, Application Insight)
- MS Excel data manipulation using .net
- OAuth2.0, OpenId Connect, Identityserver4, JWT
- Google Charts
- Google MAP API
- Test Driven Development
- Experience with SharePoint
- Experience with automated unit testing or TDD, BDD, Automatic Unit Testing using MSTest
- Experience with Content Management Systems (such as Drupal, DNN (Dot Net Nuke) 9.1.1 (Hosting, Administration, Module development)
- Experience with AODA
- Strong knowledge of software development and Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Knowledge of agile development.
- Knowledge and experience of relevant software development tools and frameworks.
- Knowledge of specific software/system components.
- Knowledge of software security principles.
- Knowledge of quality assurance testing and risk assessment.
- Knowledge of privacy legislation, regulations (specifically the Protection of Personal Health Information Act, Ontario 2004) and Ontario Health policies, procedures, guidelines, and communication material relevant to the protection of confidential information.
- Knowledge of relational database development techniques.
- Knowledge of system administration and networking (i.e., Windows Server, Linux, IP, firewall).
- Knowledge and understanding of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, and Relational Database Analysis and Design (OOD/OOP).
- Knowledge of Ontario Health systems, and business environment.
Knowledge and Skills
Ability to make decisions where results have substantial impact across the organization.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate technical direction, communicates effectively with both internal and external stakeholders, discuss, and incorporate stakeholder’s feedback, influence stakeholders with conflicting goals and priorities, and clearly communicate issues found and solutions.
- Excellent debugging, problem-solving, and analytical skills to assist with software quality assurance testing and risk assessment; identify impact of changes to existing codes or the system component; perform standard application unit testing.
- Ability to translate software requirements into programming code through to usable application.
- Ability to identify and gather requirements through consultations with stakeholders.
- Ability to use relevant software development tools and frameworks to develop components of applications (new and existing) based on the identified business requirements and architectural specifications.
- Ability to develop control documentation and create the run books to support application release.
- Ability to design, develop (new and upgrades), and support of a range of applications for deployment in the Ontario Health operating environment.
- Ability to perform standard application unit testing.
- A team player with a deep commitment to contributing to team success.
- Works well with end users from different disciplines with varying degrees of business experience.
- Ability to work with a medium level of autonomy within a defined project/solution/system scope based on direction from Lead Engineers, Architects, and Product Managers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities while maintaining high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically within product/project teams, cross-portfolio, and external stakeholder interaction.
Employment Type: Permanent Full Time
Salary Band: 5
Location: Ontario (currently hybrid; subject to change)
All applicants must be a resident of Ontario to be considered for roles at Ontario Health.
Internal Application Deadline Date: August 31, 2023
Ontario Health encourages applications from candidates who are First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and urban Indigenous; Francophone; Black and racialized; members of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities; trans and nonbinary; and disabled.
We encourage applicants with accessibility needs to notify us if they have any accommodation needs in the application and/or interview process.
Note: As part of the initial recruitment screening process, applicants must confirm that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If applicants are not fully vaccinated, they will be required to identify any accommodation needs pursuant to a protected ground under the Code. Applicants who identify an accommodation need will be required to provide supporting documentation with respect to their need for accommodation when requested by Ontario Health. If no such accommodation is identified, the applicant will not be eligible to proceed through the recruitment process."