The General Manager would be responsible for effectively managing and overseeing all aspects of the hotel operations including: guest relations, front desk, sales, housekeeping, maintenance, product quality, accounting, team building and staff development for the interest and benefit of key stakeholders. Directs and coordinates activities of the hotel to obtain efficiency and maximize profits by performing duties personally or through direct reports.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing the hotel’s business plans including sales & marketing plan / annual operating budget, and monitoring the performance of the hotel throughout the year to achieve optimum financial goals;
- Assists with increasing Market Share through an active role in Sales by providing leads to Regional Director of Sales and must have an understanding of market demand generators and market awareness.
- Responsible for Revenue Management-Optimize RevPAR for the hotel through optimization of revenue through occupancy growth and rate position.
- Adhere to all Westmont accounting policies and procedures;
- Supervises the reservation functions to ensure maximum RevPar.
- Responsible for effective inventory management, forecasting, optimal market mix and pricing strategies.
- Perform parking lot checks and submit leads to Regional Director of Sales.
- Participate in community and industry organizations as the primary representative of the hotel and positively representing and promoting the hotel.
- Ensures that staff is fully knowledgeable on all hotel facilities, daily functions, current hotel promotions, as well as local activities within the city.
- Directly responsible for customer service, hotel cleanliness and curb appeal.
- Handles all guest complaints and ensures that corrective action is taken in order to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Must appropriately address guest requests to ensure customers are satisfied with the hotel’s services and accommodations.
- Oversees the activities of all staff members in order to ensure adherence to hotel policies and procedures.
- Ensure all staff is aware of daily activities taking place in the hotel.
- Train, support, address HR issues and coach staff to create a productive, efficient team.
- Ensure compliance with Westmont’s Labour productivity standards.
- Reviews all departmental schedules for accuracy and staffing demands. Make adjustments as required.
- Responsible for processing bi-weekly Payroll and ensure personnel files are updated are kept confidential.
- Reviews and submits food order supplies as per company policy.
- Submits all Purchase Orders as per company policy to Regional Director of Operations.
- Reviews and approves all invoices and assigns batches for Night Auditor to enter in Accounts Payable system.
- Participate in P&L reviews on a monthly basis and be prepared to address variances.
- Fills in for any vacant shifts as needed including when AGM is on leave or on vacation.
- Front Desk duties as well as duties associated with General Manager’s position including but not limited to the above listings.
- Implement and maintain all company policies, procedures and standards.
- Ensure all statutory regulations for safety and security for both employees and guests are maintained.
- Maintain the property to Brand and Westmont Hospitality Group standards.
- Preparation of the yearly budgets as well as the annual marketing plan.
- IHG experience an asset.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Post-secondary degree/Diploma or equivalent years of relevant work experience required.
- Experience as a hotel General Manager or Assistant General Manager highly preferred.
- Minimum 5+ year’s managerial experience within hospitality industry.
- Experience in all phases of hotel management, including sales and marketing, daily management of all areas of operations involving human resources, food and beverage, budget management, rooms, housekeeping, maintenance, and landscaping.
- Must be able to delegate responsibilities, organize projects, and establish priorities consistent with hotel objectives.
- Experience in the supervision of personnel: recruitment, training and motivation.
- Proven track record in revenue management to achieve/exceed hotel’s fair share market performance and sales targets.
- Background in the development and execution of business, marketing and sales plans and operating budgets.
- Proficient / familiarity with computerized systems; MS Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Working knowledge of Ezlabor and Pay@Work preferred
- Ability to deal with all levels of management, staff and owners in a professional manner.
- A team player with excellent organization and communication skills with solid industry knowledge.
- Established industry relationships and contacts.
- Proven ability to manage multi-tasked assignments and work within deadlines.
- Exposure to labour and employee relations, contract administration, dispute resolution, legal, statutory and due diligence issues an asset.
- Ability to coach, train and motivate employees.
- Listening and mental attentiveness in dealing with customer queries, and manager's requirements.
- Mental effort required in multi-tasking and handling interruptions that require refocusing.
- Mental and visual concentration during computer work daily.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Walking for a long period of time.
- Performs computer work daily.
- Governed by concurrent and dynamic deadlines, despite conflicting priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Constantly handling of queries and calls from guests, potential guests, and other departments.
- Must have own vehicle and willingness to travel to events as required.
- Occasionally required to travel.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
Type of Supervision Required
Reports to the Regional Director of Operations and works under minimal to no supervision. The Individual has complete responsibility and complete authority to take whatever action is deemed advisable or necessary, subject only to the policies or general rules laid down. Occasionally consults with immediate supervisor.
Type of Supervision and/or Assistance Given
Directly supervises employees and supervisors by assigning tasks, performance assessments, training, addressing complaints, resolving problems, and performance management of employees. The incumbent also provides input for hiring and terminating employees.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- F&B Operations: 3 years (Preferred)
- Labour & Employee relations: 1 year (Preferred)
- Hotel Management: 5 years (Required)