EXPERIENCED METAL FABRICATORS / IRONWORKERS / WELDERS / PIPEFITTERS / ELCTRICIANS / SPRAY PAINTERS
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding Inc. (ISI) has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. We have delivered two Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships, a new capability for the Royal Canadian Navy, and we're just getting started. The third ship of its class will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Click here for a tour of our shipyard.
Grow in an ambitious environment and shape a new-build program from the ground up, with job security.
Join a growing, privately-held, family-friendly company. Work in a modern facility and equal-opportunities environment that allows employees to realize their potential.
Relocate with legal and financial relocation support and a competitive compensation package. Protect the entire family with company and state benefits.
Enjoy a high standard of living in Halifax, and a work/ life balance and long-term stability working at ISI.
Halifax, the capital city of Nova Scotia, is vibrant and bustling with activity. Consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in Canada, it is safe, affordable and home to a diverse population of over 417,000. Halifax offers excellent public and private education opportunities for kindergarten to high school students, as well as many degree-granting postsecondary institutions and community colleges offering trades training. Halifax is home to historical landmarks and a thriving art and culture sector. The unique atmosphere of the city is warm and inviting, providing a balance of small town charm with the amenities of a large urban centre. Located on the East Coast of Canada, Halifax experiences four seasons of moderate weather, with temperatures less extreme than other Canadian cities. Halifax is blessed with idyllic summer days that give way to leisurely falls, mild winters and vibrant springs.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but limited to:
- A robust relocation package providing legal and financial support for you and your family (if applicable);
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking multiple permanent, full-time skilled tradespeople to be based in Halifax, N.S. The primary language of work is English.
Reporting to the Trades Director, the experienced Ironworkers / Welders / Pipefitters / Electricians / Spray Painters are responsible for the use of various tools and equipment in the fabrication, assembly and erection of metal parts for the construction of modular units utilized in the various stages of the building of a marine vessel.
The rate of pay for these positions is CAD$25.32 to CAD$37.12 per hour, dependent on the number of hours/years of service completed at the time of hire, as per our current Collective Agreement.
- Minimum of 5+ years of current experience in fabrication, assembly, and fitting in a “new build" shipbuilding environment is required
- Shipbuilding experience is mandatory
o Completion of secondary school or high school; and
o Completion of vocational, technical and/or equivalent training or 5+ years of related experience
- Metal fabrication trade certification, or equivalent, is preferred
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Physical effort and work conditions:
- Candidates will be required to wear respiratory protective equipment and must comply with all safety regulations regarding the proper fit and use of this personal protective equipment.
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms; stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and work in confined spaces, inclement weather and support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate. Work may be performed indoors and outdoors. You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds. Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds.
- Areas of specialization: shipbuilding, structural metal or steel, plate work, pressure vessel
- Measure, cut, grind, fit, align, and tack weld parts
- Layout of reference points and patterns
- Assemble and fit plates and sections to form structures
- Install interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc. to complete all of the steel work in the ship
- Layout construct patterns and templates
- Read, interpret, plan, and execute from drawings, blueprints, and procedures
- Instruct and mentor apprentices
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as “Safety Sensitive" where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for their own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For additional information please contact our Recruitment Team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.