Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Location: Greater Moncton SPCA
Job Type: Part time Casual, minimum 20 hours weekly
Salary: $16.81 (90% initially as per collective agreement)
Effective Date: ASAP
Reporting to: Team Lead, Animal Control
The Animal Control Officer (ACO) is responsible for all aspects of the Animal Control function that the GMSPCA provides to the community. The ACO will work closely with the Animal Control Team Leader in all matters and carry out such programs as assigned.
The role is best suited to someone able to maintain calm under pressure, someone with conflict resolution skills and abilities, as well as the ability to effectively communicate with all community members.
The incumbent will be expected to work alone and as part of a team in order to enforce municipal bylaws, work alongside other agencies in a professional and respectful manner and may be required to work evenings and/or weekends as needed.
- Animal control and all duties involved to meet contractual obligations
- Enforce Municipal by Laws
- Park patrols – outside in varying weather conditions
- Sell tags – assigned locations and door to door in varying weather conditions
- Pick up stray/owned animals
- Creating a positive image to the public
- Keep a log of license sales and park patrols – who, when and where
- Attend monthly Animal Control meeting to discuss any issues that may be arising from daily routines.
- Any other tasks as assigned by shelter management
Required and preferred Skills:
- Experience as an Animal Control Officer preferred.
- Formal bylaw/law enforcement education preferred.
- Good oral and written skills required.
- Maintain an air of diplomacy when dealing with the public and other agencies.
- De-escalation and conflict resolution, education or experience preferred.
- Experience in close working teams preferred.
- Comfort with IT systems required.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- Animal handling: 1 year (Required)