In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Business Intelligence Database Analyst is responsible for the planning, design, development and management of new and existing reporting database systems related to Panorama. Reporting to the Technical Manager, the Business Intelligence Database Analyst applies a broad range of information technology experience and Business Intelligence (BI) knowledge, to provide assistance to all Health Authorities and supports Surveillance Analysts, report builders and Data Analysts for report building, optimization, schema and data interpretation. This position plans, designs, and develops BI solutions, including Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) process, reports and data cubes. This position ensures the integrity and quality of the data accessible through these BI solutions, and also manages and maintains the overall Panorama existing BI system and its associated security.
- Designs and develops reports to deliver “BI” (Business Intelligence) to the end users.
- Collaborates with Database Administrators, Systems Analysts, Surveillance Analysts and Biostatisticians to identify, analyze and rationalize internal and external data sources and ETL strategies.
- Assists the Business Analysts and Application Analyst to develop and maintain a current mapping between the data dictionary and the database structure/map.
- Designs and sustains a coherent Integrated Data model and data mart that supports the BI needs of various customers.
- Supports the Business Analysts, Application Analysts and PHSA IM/IT teams in rollout activities such as user acceptance testing, user training, product demos and product evaluation.
- Administers security settings and access to BI reports, cubes and overall system
- Analyzes system performance and provides recommendations for the development of capacity plans for the existing application.
- Conducts analysis related to data conversion routines and system interfaces.
- Supports operational requirements by assembling, creating and maintaining the required set of information systems technical and operational documentation, according to departmental standards.
- Develops user documentation and maintains system, report and licensing documentation.
- Collaborates with PHSA IM/IT regarding server maintenance, upgrades, system failures, backups and disaster recovery planning.
- Liaises with BI vendor(s) to resolve issues, and may negotiate license contracts, and participates in contract negotiations with vendors in conjunction with senior staff or managers.
- Participates in the analysis, definition of and user acceptance of report criteria, development, testing, training, implementation and maintenance of assigned projects.
- Provides advice on methods to improve performance efficiencies through the use of automated tools and revised work processes.
- Acts as key contact and trainer for BI users of all skill levels on data reports and data retrieval using BI tools. Develops, updates and coordinates the preparation of educational and training materials and provides education and instruction in the use of the BI tools.
- Develops and modifies Panorama reports to support regional and provincial level reporting.
- Supports other report developers and ensures high quality reporting through reviewing the assumptions, calculations and report design.
- Manages, modifies and maintains operations for the Panorama reporting data base and data warehouse environment and escalates system issues to Panorama Support.
- Implements system, catalog, security, report and cube upgrades.
- Extracts data for ad-hoc requests.
- Builds and publishes scheduled batch procedures to automate routine BI tasks. Monitors scheduled reports and cubes.
- Designs, builds, publishes, configures and secures OLAP cubes.
- Monitors servers and systems for availability, logical and physical performance.
- Participates in Data Standards Group and Panorama meetings and communicates important system, report and cube changes.
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and five (5years of experience in BI/data modeling, including working directly with end users (clinicians, managers, senior executives) to produce data models and reports that produce real business results. Advanced knowledge of BI Tools and applied knowledge of SQL Server. Knowledge of OLAP architecture and multidimensional database design techniques.
Proven hands-on experience with standard data warehousing/data mart and Business Intelligence tools, Microsoft SQL Server, including queries, stored procedures, and when to use triggers/views, and SQL, Oracle, XML, HTML, DHTML, client/server and Web development. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology. Ability to understand and clearly relate technical information and principals of operation to other members of the organization. Ability to analyze operational problems and recommend innovative solutions, demonstrating time management skills. Proven ability to plan and execute complex projects with stringent budgets and timelines. Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.