Office of the President
Language Skill Levels (Read/Write/Speak):
$74852.60 to $93565.75
Permanent Full Time
We’re not your typical government agency
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) exists for a single reason: to make housing affordable for everyone in Canada. We’re mobilizing the expertise and energy of governments, non-profits, lenders, developers, social entrepreneurs and co-ops to create the future of housing. At CMHC, we believe that everyone in Canada should have a place to call home.
Experience a Results-Only Work Environment™ (ROWE™)
At CMHC, we trust you to get the job done. We’ve shifted from managing people to managing work. Each employee is 100% autonomous and 100% accountable. You can choose where you need to be and when you need to be there to meet your objectives. You’re in control of your time and are trusted to make the right decisions.
This position reports to the Briefings and ATIP team in our Corporate Relations Office, President’s Office and Corporate Governance sector. This sector works with our Board and Government to promote effective decision-making.
About the role
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. This position is an exceptional opportunity to become a member of the Corporate Relations team, where you will research and write ministerial and executive briefing notes, coordinate input and approvals from CMHC business lines and ensure that products meet editorial standards and are appropriate for the target audience, typically Cabinet ministers, ministers’ offices, CMHC’s President, senior management and the Board of Directors, all while working in a high performance, highly time-sensitive environment. This will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
What you will need
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration, or Communication or equivalents with a minimum five (5) years of experience in the area of ministerial briefings/correspondence, corporate relations, Cabinet affairs, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in writing and/or editing briefing materials for senior decision-makers.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Knowledge of federal political system, federal institutions and policy-making.
- Knowledge of the rules and practices governing Cabinet Affairs, machinery of government, Cabinet and ministerial decision-making systems and the roles and workings of central agencies.
- Excellent communications skills (writing, speaking, negotiating and persuading) for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality work under tight timelines, amid changing priorities.
- Strong organizational skills to effectively manage a number of ongoing and competing tasks at one time and handle competing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to resolve complex issues and innovate solutions when resolving issues.
- Strong client management skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with key clients and partners by using good listening, communication, and negotiating skills to effectively resolve issues.
- Attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy are critical in this function.
- Knowledge of executive correspondence tracking software is an asset.
What you will be doing
Prepare Executive Briefing Materials
- Responding to client requests and proactively generate accurate, relevant and concise briefing materials.
- Conducting accurate searches for relevant existing materials in corporate records, identify supplementary information required and consult with subject matter experts to obtain additional information.
- Synthesizing a wide range of complex information (e.g., client needs, political information, external factors, measurement data, corporate objectives, and differing points of view) and account for these factors in briefing materials.
- Understanding client needs (typically the Minister, their office and CMHC senior management) and distinguish between relevant facts and arguments and superfluous details.
- Developing and maintaining a working knowledge of issues and developments in the internal and external environment.
- Building strong working relationships with a broad range of CMHC employees in order to promote information sharing and responsiveness.
Coordinate Approvals for Briefing Dockets
- Tracking multiple concurrent dockets (projects) and interact with business lines at all levels to explain the context of deadlines and ensure timelines are adhered to.
- Assessing the level of risk presented by dockets on a case-by-case basis, and route approvals accordingly in accordance with guiding principles.
- Balancing the need to mitigate risk against demands on senior management’s time while managing multiple tight deadlines.
- Participating in or coordinating meetings to clarify or resolve issues that may arise both at the working level and with senior management.
Ensure the Quality and Relevance of Briefings Prepared in CMHC Business Lines
- Providing editorial services for written documents produced within CMHC business lines, including formatting/grammatical checks.
- Advising business lines on client needs, including the scope of requests and linkages between business lines and issues.
- Ensuring that briefing materials are consistent with established CMHC templates, and suggest variations from or improvements to templates on a case-by-case basis.
- Providing a challenge function with business lines to ensure that materials are appropriate for the intended audience and contain the correct level of detail.
Does this sound like you?
Click the “apply now” button and create an account (it should take about 30 seconds). We’re excited to hear from you!
Posting closing date:
March 20, 2020 @ 11:59 pm EST (Note, the competition may remain active until filled).
Job Requisition ID:
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's official languages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
- If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.