West-Can Seal Coating is a privately held road construction company located in Didsbury, AB. West-Can has been specializing in roadbuilding and preventative maintenance of asphalt roads in Western Canada since 1986. We offer competitive wages, benefits, RRSPs as well as the opportunity for advancement and growth.
West-Can is currently seeking an experienced Shop Foreman to maintain and repair fleet and equipment, ensuring safety, integrity, cost effectiveness and protection of our West-Can Seal Coating (WCS) assets.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Shop Foreman will be a leader who is responsible for over-seeing the selection, purchase, maintenance, repair and documentation of WCS fleet vehicles and equipment, assignment of work and deployment of mechanical staff, recommending and implementing efficiencies to ensure cost-effective delivery of fleet services in accordance with applicable legislation, corporate policy and objectives. In addition to managing the shop, the Shop Foreman will be involved in building and tracking long term strategies for cost efficient vehicle fleet use and managing the life cycle and disposal of fleet assets.
Key Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Supervise and coach a team of 10-15 shop personnel (mechanics, apprentices, etc.)
- Coordination of fleet services operations, scheduling of work and staff performance, inventory and procurement, estimates, invoicing and warranty issues
- Oversee Fleet Maintenance, annual inspections, work orders of all staff and schedule accordingly
- Ensure that all licensing, testing and inspection requirements are met, conduct final inspections and approve work
- Monitor compliance to documented work scopes, maintenance policies and processes for all fleet programs and component overhauls and repairs
- Work independently and in concert with the Operations Manager to administer and manage fleet resources, equipment, budget and related programs
- Use software to collect and record data to monitor vehicle performance
- Analyze collected data to identify patterns and take remedial action to reduce costs and improve efficiencies
- Prepare reports and recommendations for Operations Manager
- Research parts availability and costing and manage an internal parts department
- Develop full life-cycle overhaul and maintenance strategies that support mechanical reliability targets and support the development of a detailed asset life cycle cost model
- Work closely with the field on any related issues or concerns
- Monitor performance of employees and equipment (approximately 150 licensed, plus off road equipment)
- Conduct Safety meetings
- Maintain SOPs.
- Heavy Duty or Truck and Transport Journeyman Mechanic license
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a management / leadership role with experience in implementing change
- Progressive experience in a municipal fleet environment while managing a team
- A strong understanding of the regulations pertaining to municipal fleet maintenance and management
- Direct budgeting, forecasting and financial analysis experience
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license or better is required, with clean drivers abstract
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in Word and Excel (MS Office, Excel and Viewpoint)
- Business Administration, Engineering, Commerce or related degree is desirable
- Experience with Computerized Fleet Complete will be considered an asset.
Skills and Attributes:
- Genuine desire to mentor and support staff
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment, creativity and good-decision making to lead planning projects to successful completion
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Skillful in finding solutions, and resolving conflict
- Excellent customer service, negotiation, organizational and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to learn and effectively use Viewpoint and Fleet Complete software.
- Full Time - extended hours will be required during May – October
- Occasional service calls will be required.
West-Can Seal Coating would like to thank all candidates for their application; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Shop Foreman: 5 years (Preferred)
- Journeyman Mechanic (Required)
- Class 1 or 3Q (Preferred)