Full-Time Temporary Position
(Commencing September 2019 until September 2020)
The PEI Department of Agriculture and Land aims to encourage the development of an innovative, diverse and inclusive workforce which enables the organization to realize its goals. This position is responsible for the administration and technical resources essential to inspection, installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of propane, natural and manufactured gas systems, review of design submissions and certification of new and existing gas systems, verifying that all equipment is installed in compliance with the Boilers and Pressure Vessels Act and Regulations and all applicable reference safety standards and the management and administration of the licensing of gas personnel.
Duties will include:
- Reviewing and approving permits and design drawings prior to the installation of gas systems;
- Inspecting completed new installations of propane, natural and manufactured gas systems;
- Conducting examinations of gas appliances and equipment;
- Inspecting boilers, pressure vessels and piping systems for proper installation;
- Ensuring safe operation and maintenance of the units meet the requirements of the CSA B51 Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, CSA Code for the Installation of Natural Gas and Propane and CSA Propane Storage and Handling Code, and the PEI Boilers and Pressure Vessels Act and Regulations, by conducting close visual inspection, testing of safety relief valves and operating controls, reviewing operating and maintenance log books, interviewing owners and operators; entering inspection and registration information into the computer data base; issuing certificates of inspection to components that comply with the Boilers and Pressure Vessels Act Regulations;
- Conducting examinations for certification and issuing approvals to licensed gas personnel, as required under the Boilers and Pressure Vessels Act Regulations;
- Performing periodic inspections of gas plants and dispensing units.
- Verifying compliance with National Board Inspection Code and the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessels Codes by witnessing hydrostatic and pneumatic tests on gas systems, boilers, pressure vessels and pressure piping systems;
- Issuing oral or written directives to contractors and/or owners for the repair, removal from service of unsafe units and for changes in operating and maintenance practices;
- Registering designs of gas pressure piping systems submitted by manufactures after reviewing the quality control programs submitted by Mechanical Contractors are found to be acceptable according to the PEI Boiler and Pressure Vessel Act Regulations;
- Representing the Department on technical committees at the local, provincial, and national level;
- Other duties as required.
- Applicants must have Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Extensive experience in the gas industry (propane, natural and manufactured).
- Hold license as a Propane Gas Installer Class “D” and a Bulk Plant Operator Class “2”.
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered.
- Liquid Propane endorsement.
- Knowledge of related codes and standards.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings.
- Must have strong oral and written communication and basic computer skills
- Applicant must have a good previous work and attendance record.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record and access to a reliable vehicle.
- The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check prior to commencing employment.
- Additional relevant education and experience will be considered an asset.
- Previous inspector and supervisor experience would be considered an asset.
- Experience in welding /pipe fitting is an asset.
- Certification in Plumbing or Power Engineer is an asset.
Preference will be given to internal UPSE Civil applicants.
Please Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The "Notification of Successful Candidates" list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Salary Range: $26.98 - $33.76 per hour (Level 15)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly (evenings and weekends as required)
Posting ID: 138745-1119ALTO
Closing Date: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:00 p.m.
Please return forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO CONFIRM RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION, BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms. You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at www.gov.pe.ca/jobs. Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephone 368-4080.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $26.98 to $33.76 /hour