Make an impact as a Dining Room Manager at Backhouse!
Founded by Ryan Crawford in 2014, Backhouse has become one of Niagara’s most beloved restaurants. It is leading the charge for Integrated Cool Climate Cuisine. It has been recognised by Aircanada EnRoute, Where Magazine, Toronto Life, OpenTable Top 100 and Wine Spectator as one of Canada’s premier dining establishments. With the opening of Ruffino’s Pasta Bar & Grill and the introduction of farm dinners, Backhouse continues to innovate and grow!
A Backhouse dining room manager must ensure high personal performance and restaurant profitability while maintaining overall excellence & hospitality throughout each day’s specific service periods, ensure knowledge of and adherence to all applicable laws, policies, and procedures while continuously building a high-performance team. In order to achieve these goals, a dining room manager must understand how to work as part of a cohesive team. The ideal candidate will know when to ask the right questions as well as when to act independently. Passion for food, beverage, and hospitality is a must as is a desire to provide leadership and lead by example. Ideal candidates have flexible schedules and will be asked to work nights, holidays and weekends. As an integral member of the Backhouse leadership team, this position must lead, inspire and embody our Family Values and our philosophy of Enlightened Hospitality in all interactions with our people, guests, vendors, and the community.
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As a member of our family you’ll receive:
- A competitive salary
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision benefits
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active family life outside of work
- Monthly Training and Development fund
- Participation in quarterly bonus plan
- Maintain an understanding of the proper steps of service required of all FOH service positions
- Have a base knowledge and understanding of classic cookery, wine, beer, and cocktails
- Have a general knowledge and understanding of Department of Health food safety standards
- Maintain the mental athleticism necessary when faced with operating a 65+ seat restaurant in addition to farm dinners and off-site events
- Organize and complete the administrative set up and break down of service (including but not limited to: creation of floor plans, menus, employee check in, employee cash outs, bank close out etc.)
What You Bring to the Table:
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Excellence: Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done, even when no one is looking.
- Hospitality: Doing all that can be done for others–more than is expected–in thoughtful ways that let people know you’re on their side.
- Creativity is Flexibility: Seeing opportunities others haven’t, and creating solutions others wish they’d thought of first.
- Sustainability: Doing the right thing, always, using sound judgment
- Open availability and a career mentality
- 2-3 years fine dining experience
- Excellent emotional self-awareness under pressure while maintaining a graceful, warm presence
- Curious intelligence to continue learning in the position
- Passion for motivating, educating, and empowering the team
- Classic Wine Service Knowledge
- Conflict Resolution
- Customer Service
- Experience in a Fine Dining Establishment
- Food / Beverage Pairing
- Food Safety Knowledge
- Staff Education / Motivation
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Vacation & paid time off
- Employee assistance programs
- Company events & social hours
- On-site parking
- Discounted/free food
- Education reimbursement
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Restaurant Management: 3 years (Required)