Location: White Rock Seniors Village
This position is covered under the single site order.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the General Manager and/or designate the Recreation Manager is accountable for all aspects of the Recreation Department. The Recreation Manager supervises all Recreation Staff and volunteers, develops and manages the Recreation Department budget, serves as an intricate member of the management team and promotes the Recreation Department within the facility and the community at large. The Recreation Manager assesses resident and community recreation needs to develop, implement, and evaluate Recreation services in order to offer high quality opportunities.
Human Resources Management:
1. Responsible for recruitment, orientation, discipline and termination of Recreation staff and volunteers.
2. Participates in grievance handling by liaising with union representative, administering and communicating to staff on collective agreement articles, employee handbook, policies and procedures, thereby minimizing employee conflict and concerns.
3. Provides ongoing probationary & annual performance evaluations for all departmental employees.
4. Identifies education needs for employees; participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of orientation, training and education programs for staff.
5. Manages all Recreation staff work schedules, coordinates work assignments and maintains direct care hours as required.
6. Ensures performance issues of recreation staff, students and volunteers are resolved to meet service standards and commitments.
7. Coordinates student placement programs within the Recreation Department and completes any documentation of such programs.
1. Attends management team meetings, provides input into & participates in the strategic plan for assigned areas of responsibility.
2. Participates in the planning and implementation of the budget, both operating and capital, for the Recreation Department.
3. Acts as the facility liaison for the Tenant Council. Coordinates support for the Tenant Council as necessary.
4. Liaises with community agencies, groups and individuals to augment programs and promote the facility within the community.
5. Oversees and updates standards, procedures and Recreation records in order to maintain an organized and efficient department.
6. Ensures the ongoing maintenance of all recreation equipment and supplies and provides documentation of the same.
7. Maintains a current knowledge of administrative and emergency policies and procedures and participates in fire evacuations drills.
8. Participates in resident safety initiatives.
9. Develops and distributes monthly recreation program calendars and newsletters.
10. Completes and submits Departmental month end reports and works with the General Manager to use the information in the reports to compliment the operation of the Recreation Department.
11. Maintains the facility bus safety program including, but not limited to, scheduling bus maintenance, inspections, licensing requirements of drivers, and safety procedures.
1. On a regular basis attends in-service and education sessions to continually upgrade professional skills.
2. Develops and coordinates Recreation Interventions that meet the emotional, cognitive, physical, social and spiritual needs and interests of the residents.
3. Facilitates Recreation programs and interventions to the residents.
4. Evaluates Recreation programs for effectiveness and makes revisions as required.
5. Provides mentorship and education to Recreation staff on best practice in the field of Recreation.
6. Reports and documents relevant observations concerning resident behaviour and communicates these observations to other members of the care team.
7. Participates in community and corporate Continuous Quality Committees and initiatives as required.
8. Perform all other duties as required.
1. Graduation from a recognized Recreation Program, Therapeutic Recreation Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
2. A minimum of two years management experience in a residential geriatric setting.
3. Demonstrated ability to initiate programs and organize Recreation activities.
4. Current Basic CPR qualifications.
5. Current class 4 BC Driver’s License.
6. Current Food Safe Certification.
7. Current Serving It Right Certification mandatory.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to communicate and establish harmonious relationships with residents, families, volunteers and visitors of the facility.
2. Good physical and emotional health with capabilities that are compatible with walking, stooping, bending, lifting heavy objects and pushing heavy carts. Must be free from any allergies or related conditions that may be aggravated by working with pets.
3. Demonstrated supervisory skills and experience.
4. Excellent written and oral English skills.
5. Proficient in Microsoft Office.
6. Previous financial management experience.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- management experience in a residential geriatric setting: 2 years (Required)
- Class 4 BC Driver's License (Required)
- Basic CPR (Required)
- Serving it Right (Required)
- Food Safe (Required)
- Recreation (Required)