Are you are a strong leader with comprehensive knowledge of risk management, healthcare service agreements and privacy issues? Join our team to provide legal support and advice to leaders at all levels within PHSA.
What you’ll do
- Provide expert legal support and guidance to PHSA corporate and operational departments, as well as to leaders, managers and members of the in-house legal team on a wide variety of legal matters/issues, in order to enable effective decision-making.
- Respond to a variety of legal issues that affect the healthcare industry and the clinical and business operations of PHSA.
- Review, research, interpret, and prepare legal opinions that may have significant impact to PHSA and its programs.
- Advise on new and existing legislation applicable to healthcare and its impact to PHSA.
- Draft and revise legal documentation and negotiate with external parties on behalf of PHSA and its programs. Provide guidance on implications and courses of action.
- Anticipate and identify legal issues and advise managers and directors on legal strategies and solutions to mitigate legal risk.
- Represent PHSA at various hearings, court and/or tribunals and present arguments.
- Maintain professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep up-to-date with industry trends, developments, revised legislation and new regulations.
- Maintain primary responsibility for legal support and guidance on commercial agreements in relation to healthcare services.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Law Degree from an accredited University.
- A minimum of seven (7) to ten (10) years of recent, related experience.
- Current member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia or eligibility for membership within a specified period.
- Substantial knowledge of and demonstrated familiarity with the legislative and regulatory framework governing healthcare.
- Knowledge of commercial transactions, information technology, intellectual property, administrative and privacy law.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, plan, direct, manage and implement.
- Ability to facilitate the resolution of issues. Expert ability to analyze, research, evaluate and interpret legal issues.
- Exemplary ability in legal writing and drafting legal documents, and in the preparation of correspondence, summaries and reports.
- Demonstrated ability to provide legal opinions and advice, taking into account and understanding the needs of others to achieve helpful results.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences, including the ability to negotiate and persuade others.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Possessing of such qualities as integrity, trust and professionalism.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Computer proficiency with a variety of relevant software applications.
The posting will be open until filled with interview anticipated to start December 16th, 2019.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accrual.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
What we do
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.