Job ID: 40909
Job Category: Operations & Maintenance
Division & Section: Solid Waste Management Services
Work Location: N/A
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, TEMPORARY
Hourly Rate: $31.42 per hour
Shift Information: 40 HOURS PER WEEK
Affiliation: L416 OUTSIDE
Number of Positions Open: N/A
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Heavy Equipment Operator (HEO) position within our Solid Waste Management Services.
- Operates heavy motorized equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Operates powered vehicles and equipment, including rubber-tired and track-type front end loaders, backhoes, gradalls, roll-off trucks and tractor-trailers
- Secures open top trailers using straps, ratchets and crank handle to secure tarps
- Maintains vehicles in a clean and tidy condition and makes daily inspection, reports defects and maintains a Driver's Log, as required by the HTA and City policies
- Directs activities and may provide work direction to other staff
- Assists workers in various Transfer Station functions, including, but not limited to, loading and unloading of trailers, hook-up, cranking landing gear, and opening and securing trailer doors, etc.
- Shunting of tractors and trailers at Transfer Stations
- Installs or assists in installing equipment attachments
- Performs other related work as assigned
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "A" Driver's License (with "Z" endorsement), and must qualify for the City's Equipment operating permits and requirements.
- Recent experience and demonstrated ability in the operation of tractor-trailers, rubber tire articulated loaders, track loaders and back hoe generally as outlined in the responsibilities.
- Ability to operate tractor trailers equipped with manual transmissions or automatic transmissions.
You must also have:
- Ability in the operation of construction/utility equipment, front-end loaders, heavy trucks, generally as outlined in the responsibilities.
- Knowledge and ability to perform running repairs on equipment, calibrate onboard weighing system and to maintain equipment and/or vehicle in operation in a clean, tidy and safe condition.
- Familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations that apply to this work and Provincial and City Traffic Laws and regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to orient new staff on assigned vehicles/equipment.
- Ability to use or learn to use technical devices related to the position.
- Ability to communicate in relation to the job duties and deal courteously with the public.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime/on call duty, rotating shifts and emergency situations.
- Must be able to follow instructions, work independently or in a group.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate dusty, noisy, and odorous conditions.
- Must be physically capable of performing the required duties and be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be willing to take training and upgrading as required.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.